Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.

Thread: How's Atlantis/Bahamas Diving?

Registered

Has not set a "status"

How's Atlantis/Bahamas Diving?

Anyone familiar with diving in/aroound the Atlantis resort in the Bahamas? We're taking my autistic brother there for the entertainment but wanted to do a little diving as well.
    Thanks,
    Spencer

Registered

Is going to Thailand!

Dives
    200 - 499
    Photos
    Stuart Cove's may be your best bet on New Providence. Check out the shark dive. They have a bus for pickup and dropoff to my knowledge.
    So I got a tattoo of a turtle on my arm and a woman on the dive boat said "Oooh thats a nice tattoo. Do you like turtles?"

Regular of the Pub

snarky commentor

Photos
    while there is nothing wrong with Stuart Coves, there is actually a dive shop almost across the street from Atlantis. Bahama Divers Home Page

Bahamas Diving Association has another listed also called Land Sharks
    Bahamas Diving Association: Official Dive Association for the Islands of The Bahamas

I don't know anything about them, but check them out.
    Land Shark Divers - Nassau, Bahamas

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Photos
    For your every day kind of dive, I'd go with Bahama Divers. They were much closer and they were fantastic dives (not too crowded either).

Stuart Coves is good, but a long bus ride and definitely attracts a crowd - that boat was packed! The Shark Adventure dives were a trippy experience though, we did the full course and got the PADI Shark Awareness Specialty. Worth doing once.

Loved diving in the Bahamas, it's an annual weekend trip for us, and we're heading straight to Bahama Divers when we get there. Have fun!

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    0 - 24
    Photos
    We were there from Aug 30th to Sept 5th (luckily only on the 4th did we get bad weather from Hanna. We were able to escape before Ike hit Unfortunately Ike knocked out our power for 10 days in Kentucky!!)

We went with Stuart Coves and had a great time. It wasn't too crowded, the shuttle comes right to the front door of Atlantis and drops you back there. You will stop @ other places along the way to pick up passengers. I think it was great for 1st time Bahamas Diving.

Scuba Instructor

Shop Owner / PADI MI

Dives
    1,000 - 2,499
    A few years ago, I went through both the resort course and OW thru the Atlantis resort. The dives were not very good. One was a boat dive where we went to a completely dead reef. I suppose that where they take all the inexperienced divers. The other dives that I made were in the immediate Atlantis resort area.

This was very disappointing as the area was full of debris, cans, drink bottles, etc. This was particularly shocking since they have such a large staff running around in wet suits. Surely, they could clean up their own property. There were only a few small fish around.

There is actually a lot of potential there particularly in the lagoon. With a little bit of effort, they could put a net across one of the bridges and seed the area with some fish. I am not a marine biologist, nor condone fish imprisonment, but I would suspect that this would be not more difficult or objectionable to accomplish than all the effort that they put into the salt water tanks around the resort.

Registered

photog wannabe

Dives
    200 - 499
    I dove with Stewart Cove last yr. Diving was very good, shark dive handled very professionally. Saw sharks on most dives (gray reef sharks). Generall I Really enjoyed the diving there. Stewart Cove was pretty crowded when I was there. I was on the same boat 5 days in a row and got to know some of the other divers. I am not familiar with the other dive operations so I can't compare but The Cove operation is very competant. And Atlantis has the greatest waterpark in the WORLD!! Hands down. Fabulous fun. River ride is long and exciting. Slides are unbelievable! They have an aquarium that is incredible as well so even if non divers are with you they can "see" what they are missing.

NA

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    I'm a Fish!
    Photos
    The diving in the area is very good! Here are pictures from the general area on a recent trip:Two Tanked Productions HD & SD Underwater Productions and video services

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Bahama Divers?

What is the culture like? I will be going alone (my buddy (daughter) will be off on a school trip elsewhere. Do they buddy you up with someone or do they run a sort of group tour with a divemaster?

Many thanks,
    <TED>

Quote Originally Posted by sharktoothpick View Post
    For your every day kind of dive, I'd go with Bahama Divers. They were much closer and they were fantastic dives (not too crowded either).

Stuart Coves is good, but a long bus ride and definitely attracts a crowd - that boat was packed! The Shark Adventure dives were a trippy experience though, we did the full course and got the PADI Shark Awareness Specialty. Worth doing once.

Loved diving in the Bahamas, it's an annual weekend trip for us, and we're heading straight to Bahama Divers when we get there. Have fun!

NA

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    I'm a Fish!
    Photos
    Vacation/Tourist culture, they will bend over backwards to do what YOU want! If you want a buddy ask for one or if you would rather buddy with the DM tell them! I find most operations very accommodating! Have fun!