Need to plan a last minute 1-week (Caribbean?) trip leaving between March 8 and 17

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@dam

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey guys- wacky funding situation at work and I need to take some vacation ASAP. I'm an open water diver but in my 45 dives have done most types of advanced diving. I went to Cozumel a year ago and loved it. I was thinking of heading back, but it's a big world and I'd like to try some place new.

1) I'm open to anywhere, but I live in New Mexico, so prefer somewhere not too far or expensive to reach. That probably means the Caribbean. I was thinking Roatan or Utilla could be nice
2) I'm single. A laid back dive resort with a nice social area and a younger, less family-oriented crowd is preferred. That said, I'm looking for a dive trip- not necessarily spring break party-zone. I prefer a dive-oriented place, waterfront, shore diving available. Clean and nice atmosphere, but fancy is definitely not required. Walking distance to a lively town is nice
3) Live-aboard single vacancy could be an option
4) I need to rent most of my own gear

Suggestions? General location suggestions of where's nice right now is good, but recommending a specific resort and dive operator is preferred.

You say "Roatan or Utila", so in that time frame, you might just start emailing and see who has any openings. It's getting on to the busy season!

In that you've already been exposed to most kinds of advanced diving in your 45 dives (i see: Galapagos, live aboard & Indonesia! Wow, what a first log book!), there's nothing in the Bay Islands that should give you any challenge as far as that goes. Maybe take a u/w naturalist course and learn to see the critters now that you have the technical side mastered.

Shoredives are not generally known to be available in the Bay Islands (with limited exceptions), so I would really suggest you do some quick research on the Bay Islands forum and do some initial poking around to understand the various answers you are likely to receive.

i would point you at Roatan West End or any of the Utila guest houses, but you should research available posts so that you can filter broad information from narrow experience.

When I read #2, 2 places came to mind that meet all of your list.

1. Divi Flamingo on Bonaire

Possibly some of the other northern dive resorts with a short drive to town - Buddy Dive, Capt's Don's Habitat, Eden Beach Resort. Maybe the Plaza Resort also - it's south of town, not walking distance. It's not as dive focused as the others although the SB Invasion is staying there this summer.

2. Sunset House on Grand Cayman

Explorer has space next week on the Saba/St. Kitts trip. You fly into St. Maarten and out of St. Kitts - harder to do from the SW. One way we would have had to overnite. For something a little different, that trip has at least one Saba shore excursion available. If interested call them and ask for Mary.

On Roatan's West End you trade shore diving for night life access. On Utila at the AI's the same. They're across a lagoon channel from town, are quieter and all access is by resort boat. In town, there's more diveops,all the restaurants and bars (not many) but afaik, no shore dive. Also a lot of accommodation options, from hostels on up. Utila is also a backpacker's destination.

Last edited:
When I read #2, 2 places came to mind that meet all of your list.

1. Divi Flamingo on Bonaire

Possibly some of the other northern dive resorts with a short drive to town - Buddy Dive, Capt's Don's Habitat, Eden Beach Resort. Maybe the Plaza Resort also - it's south of town, not walking distance. It's not as dive focused as the others although the SB Invasion is staying there this summer.

2. Sunset House on Grand Cayman

Explorer has space next week on the Saba/St. Kitts trip. You fly into St. Maarten and out of St. Kitts - harder to do from the SW. One way we would have had to overnite. For something a little different, that trip has at least one Saba shore excursion available. If interested call them and ask for Mary.

On Roatan's West End you trade shore diving for night life access. On Utila at the AI's the same. They're across a lagoon channel from town, are quieter and all access is by resort boat. In town, there's more diveops,all the restaurans and bars (not many) but afaik, no shore dive.

Thank you! Explorer is a live-aboard?

Thank you! Explorer is a live-aboard?
Yes, they call it their Northeastern Caribbean itinerary - it's this one: Explorer Ventures: Adventures in Liveaboard Diving - $1895 + fees. The availability schedule is here: http://www.explorerventures.com/pdf/FLEETSCHEDULE.pdf - they're pretty reliable about keeping it current.

A good tool for putting together the flights is: Matrix - ITA Software

It looks like you're looking at an overnite both ways in Atlanta - from Albuquerque. On Delta. $900+. We had the same problem from Phoenix.

If you're considering the Divi, check flights thru Curacao also. There's a lot of local options from there to Bonaire - some don't show up on any travel booking sites. Info Bonaire - Airline Information and Connections lists all the current options to get there.

Or there's a United redeye flight from Houston on Friday night. It's United 1402. It leaves at 11:59PM on Friday night and you arrive around 6:30AM Sat. morning. The resorts are set up to deal with early arrivals, either they'll have your room ready or a place for you to store your luggage. You have to do a Marine Park Orientation b4 you can dive on Bonaire - they're generally around 9AM Sat. morning. I know of people that are diving by 10:30 that morning.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom