Where to Dive between August and February?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nick_593

New
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I've just finished my degree in marine biology and I'm looking to head out somewhere to improve my diving qualifications and hopefully find some work.

I'm just wondering where would be the best place to head for diving, and also the possibility of finding some work (currently based in the UK).

The dates I'm looking to be away are between are from August to February (roughly!).

So far I've been looking at the Maldives, Mozambique, South Africa, and possibly the Caribbean. I'm not too sure on tropical weather in countries world wide, and was wondering where would be the best place to head during the dates I'm looking to be away??

Any advice would be a great help!

Thanks a lot,

Nick

The Caribbean would have to be #4 in terms of weather.

Also probably in finding work. Many of the better dive locations require shops to obtain permits/work visas for their permanent employees. No one will do that for a 6 month commitment. Most are also only looking for instructors as supply exceeds demand. Some locations like Belize and parts of Mexico preference is given to citizens of those countries first also.

If you did want to pursue additional training at your expense, Roatan or Utila are affordable places to do that. There's a large ex-pat British community there as well. The BVI's might be another option but it's very expensive to live there. And not a lot of dive operators so demand for those jobs is high.

You might find some opportunity if you go for AAUS certification. It's probably something you'll need anyway to work in your field and they do have some internship options available afaik. At one time there was even some scholarship funds. IDK how it applies to non-Americans though. American Academy of Underwater Sciences There are also some paid research opportunities (you pay to work there) one that I recently saw was in Belize - working on the reef. They were even providing dive training to those not certified. In a pretty remote area to the north IIRC.

You're also planning on being there for the entire Caribbean Hurricane Season so what Doc posted definitely applies.

Aug - Feb in the Caribbean can be iffy with weather. Hurricane season is July-Nov. That said, you can have fabulous weather for a week or two straight and not a single problem, or you could have a tropical storm. You never know. Then Dec-Feb is always very iffy in Caribbean due to "norte" winds, which cause big waves and cancel all diving when they happen. It can ruin a day, or a week.

Looking for work... that is a big issue. Every country has issues with foreigners coming in and getting work permits. Some are easier than others. Getting an Internship at a Dive Shop might be your best bet. Some will offer you a place to stay along with your job. I think I hear the most about this in Bay Islands of Honduras, both Roatan and Utila.

When I was in Palau, our liveaboard had a British guy as a DM. He had signed a year contract with the company. He had formerly worked for a dive shop in Grand Cayman, which is a British territory, right? Anyhow, from my liveaboard experiences, I would say that might be a GREAT way for you to get your training, but you would need to sign a contract and be a divemaster already at the very least.

Looking at those months, August is always windy in Southern Africa. September the water temps are 18- 24 degrees. If you want to have life changing experiences, look at Protea Banks. Sep-Feb in South Africa is a great time hot days, some rain but not too tropical, it is our spring / summer months.

Protea Banks offers an exceptionally exciting specialty SHARK dive. Situated 7,5km off Shelly Beach, on the KwaZulu Natal's South Coast,Protea Banks allows ADVANCED divers the opportunity to experience a shark dive that is completely unique.
During the summer months the Bull Shark (Zambezi) makes Protea banks its home. Hammerhead sharks are often seen overhead and not just one or two, we are talking hundreds .... yes hundreds during October to Feb. Guitar Sharks are seen Jan to Feb, Dusky and Oceanic Blacktip sharks frequent this reef with a select few getting the privilege of seeing the Tiger Shark in the Tiger sharks season which is Jan to May. so you will cover a large variety of diving in those months.

If you don't have an advanced open water cert that can be done through Aqua Planet Dive Centre and Charter, which is based in Shelly Beach, they also do a CDC program ( career develope course ) . which is quiet affordable and can be done over your trip. Dive Masters who have learnt to Dive Master in some of the hardiest conditions to dive in, which may sound dauting, but makes you one of the best Dive Masters in the Dive industry. They are on Trip Advisor with reviews about the diving and people who have done their Dive masters previously.:D

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom