Is it possible to dive in Burma/Myanmar?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KatLK

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm thinking about going to Burma/Myanmar on holiday - and i would like to include some diving :)

I've read that there should be some really nice divesites there - The only problem is just that i can't find any dive shops in Burma.. I can only find liveaboards from Thailand and it's quite stupid to go Thailand to sail back to Burma :)

Does anyone here have experiences/knowledge about diving from Burma?
If so i would also like some name on dive shops, price level and if you can recommend special dive site.

I really hope to hear from you guys!!

Thank you in advance :wink:

yeah that's what i thought..

But it looks like they even start from thailand or doesn't operate before november and thats to late.

Anyone who has tried diving in Burma??

Hi KatLK. Yes, you can dive in Burma. You are correct, however, that the boats depart from Thailand to go there. The dive industry in Burma is still almost entirely non-existent, though I expect that this will change with time. The dive season is dependent on the monsoon season since sea conditions become dangerous when the southwest monsoon is blowing, which is roughly from May to November. Keep in mind that there are no emergency facilities in Burma for the treatment of dive-related injuries, no rescue services for boats that get into trouble, etc., like there are in Thailand. This is a very remote area, and you don't want to be there if sea conditions are statistically predictably rough. I book a few customers on liveaboards to Burma every season, and what they like about it there is the lack of crowds. For landbased diving from Burma, I know of only one operator, and they are a Thailand-registered company that runs the dive facility at a resort on one of the islands just across the border from Thailand. My favorite dive sites in Burma are Western Rocky, Black Rock, and Three Trees. However, there's still a lot of dynamite fishing going on in Burma, so there are rubble piles around and parts of the area suffer from overfishing.

I dived the merguiis about 5 years ago, great diving although i will say be very careful of ''private'' operators offering an extension out of the sims....surface interval included a short and costly meeting with the burmese military.

I don't think there is any decent diveshop operating directly from Myanmar, it is not really (yet) a popular destination. All live-aboards I know depart from Khao Lak or Ranong in Thailand. I was on a 6-day live aboard last march with a Dutch-German company called Aladdin. It is more backpacker style, but the diving is great and the company is well run. They are well established and for Myanmar diving, without any doubt they' re the ones who have the most experience. They run on schedule and almost never cancel a trip. They are also very organized in helping you with accommodation and planning onward trips. Their base is in Ranong.
Some other companies: "Smiling seahorse", also in Ranong. Fairly new, French run. I hear good stories about them.
"A-one diving", Ranong, is Thai run, has a good rep, but they are known to cancel trips. The company seems to be owned by a someone from the Thai fishing industry, who's not really interested in diving.
In Khao Lak I know of two companies making trips to Mergui and Burma banks: "Similan Dive Safaris" (Dutch run?) and "Liquid Adventures" (Scandinavian), the latter going less frequently. Both Are decent companies I would go with.
Be aware that the diving season only runs from second half of november to end of april; december and january probably being the best months to spot the bigger pelagics. Also, Myanmar authorities levy a hefty tax on diving: we were charged about 190 USD each, visa costs and diving permit for 6 days.

Here are your URL's:

Liveaboard Scuba Diving Similan Thailand - Dive Base - Aladdin Dive Safari
diving holidays thailand | diving tour from Ranong | scuba diving liveaboard |mergui archipelago | Richelieu Rock Koh bon koh tachai | - HOME
liquid adventure | Khao Lak, Diving, Snorkeling, Liveaboard, Similan Islands
Similan Diving Safaris Itinerary Dolphin Queen

Let me know if you want more information on the subject or see some pix, right now my time is limited.

Enjoy your diving!

Last edited:
Hi folks, i am on my way to myanmar in february, and been wondering if any new infos bout scuba diving in Myanmar, I know bout a resort, but really too expensive. I don't want to hear bout liveaboards.
Thanks for the gelp !

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom