Best place to dive with whale sharks (or whales) out of these locations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

theu1991

Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone, hoping to find some information on diving during a trip.

I am a senior in college right now and my mom wants to give me a trip somewhere as my graduation gift.

My aunt works for Club Med, and I'm thinking to go to a Club Med location because we would be able to take advantage of good rates through her.

I do not plan on only staying at the Club Med resort and I will end up traveling outside of Club Med's area while away, and I plan on traveling sometime in the summer (May-July).

I want to dive with whale sharks or other large marine animals (would not mind diving with sperm or blue whales, either).

Which of these locations do you guys think would be best for this type of a trip in mind?

Mauritius
Bali
Maldives
Guadeloupe
Turks & Caicos

I've also had the Galapagos islands in mind.

I've been searching around online but haven't found anything too strong so I'm hoping some travelers on here might have some first hand experience and advice.

Thanks in advance!

Of the places you mention, the only real chance would be the Maldives or Galapagos. Wingy mentioned Cenderawasih Bay...that's the only place where DIVING with whale sharks would be a certainty, although Oslob in the Philippines I guess could also be thrown in. As you probably know, it's extremely rare to dive with either...in several thousand dives around the world I've never seen a whale on scuba and have only dove with a whale shark a few times (outside of Cenderawasih). You could reliably snorkel with them in a few places...Ningaloo was already mentioned. Not sure what part of the world you're from, but a much easier place to typically access (and far cheaper) would be Isla Holbox near Cancun in Mexico where July would be the start of the season. Snorkeling with Humpbacks is possible in Tonga and the Dominican Republic, Minke Whales East Coast of Australia. You might have the slightest of chances at whale sharks and/or whales on scuba in a place like Tofo in Mozambique.

If it doesn't have to be Club Med, your timeframe puts you in the prime Whale Shark Diving season near Gladden Spit in Belize. It's only when the Cubera Snapper spawn near the full moon(s) - the Whale Sharks go there to feed then.

Scuba with Belize Whale Sharks|Scuba Diving & Accommodation|Splash Dive Center|Placencia Belize
Avadon Divers Belize Whale Shark Packages » Avadon Divers Belize

Several of the nearby atoll resorts and several of the resorts farther north also go there. But if they do, it's probably going to be $150 or more in additional cost per single dive trip since they're farther away. And there's no guarantee so you can pay a lot for a long boat ride on an average reef.

There's also a slight chance of snorkeling with Whale Sharks off Utila in May but they're more reliably seen there in March/April. That can be a very reasonable trip since it's also a dive training/backpacking location so accommodations in town are cheaper. A little harder to get to either from mainland Honduras or thru Roatan.

I'm pretty sure the Humpbacks are only around the Dominican Republic in winter. The liveaboards from Turks/Caicos move over there during Jan-March to snorkel with them there at the Silver Banks off Puerto Plata. They also go by Grand Turk on the way there but that would be a short plane ride over from Club Med Turkoise. Obviously earlier than you can go since it's likely happening now.

We saw a lot of sharks off Turks/Caicos - especially out at West Caicos or French Cay. But nothing larger. I believe Club Med does most(all?) of their diving off Provo's NW Point - good diving but less likely for sharks. If JoJo is still around you might see a dolphin.

Last edited:
The Maldives isn't bad for whale sharks, (at least, it was good on the two occasions I've been there), but you do need to time the season and atoll correctly.

Ningaloo, Australia and Donsol (snorkelling only) or Oslob in the Philippines enjoy large congregations. A friend saw 18 whale sharks (known here as 'Butanding') in a single day in Donsol.

Belize has a known season for whalesharks.

Other tropical locations - there's always a chance anywhere around tropical S.E.Asia.. but no guarantees..

Whalesharkdist.GIF

For 'big' whales... you can't beat Tonga in season. You might want to consider a liveaboard/cruise trip to get the best out of that though...

I really appreciate all the information you guys have shared.

I didn't mention it, but I don't have a problem snorkeling versus scuba diving. I freedive and I'm probably more comfortable doing that than being on scuba in the first place (although I am certified and do go scuba diving on occasion).

I'll sift through all the options that have been laid out in the thread and come back if I have any other questions.

Thanks!!

I have been snorkeling with whale sharks off of Isla Mujeres, Mexico….beautiful island and spectacular in-water experiences with both whale sharks AND manta rays! If you'd like to snorkel with whales, one of the best places to do that is in the Silver Bank, Dominican Republic. Only three operators have a permit to be there, so it is a well-managed, non-intrusive way to watch whales with the option to actually get in the water and snorkel with humpback whales! I have been there 3 times…going for 4th time in February with Aquatic Adventures (Swim with Humpback Whales in the Dominican Republic). Tonga is another place to snorkel with humpbacks…hope to get there someday!
Wherever you decide to go, have a blast!!!

~ Heather

Lot of good advice above: Maldives, Galapagos, Similan islands, Cenderawasih Bay all good shouts. But yeah if you want to overdose on big stuff: whale sharks, whales, manta rays, sea lions, dolphins etc, then a Mexico liveaboard is the order of the day.

Of the places you've mentioned, we have been to the Maldives and Galapagos. My understanding is that both of these locations are best experienced through liveaboards. We personally had a fabulous time on the Carpe Vita (Explorer Ventures) in the Maldives. We definitely saw whalesharks, however this was in a dedicated swimming/snorkeling activity. Most of the world's whalesharks or whale "hostspots" have regulations in place that prohibit scuba diving with these larger animals. Snorkeling is really the only way to go when you are going to places with more or less guaranteed encounters with the animals.
Having said that, our best encounter (and easiest to get to by the way) with whale sharks was in Isla Holbox in Mexico. This is a fabulous little island several hours by car and ferry ride from Cancun. We were the only Americans in our little resort (the rest being Europeans and Mexicans). We had a great time and I can't really imagine it being better elsewhere. But of course, this was as a snorkel experience as diving is not allowed near the whalesharks. I hope this helps!
Bogdan

Back
Top Bottom