Using Rain X on housing lens?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Byrdie

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I use the go pro for diving, surfing and skiing and have noticed water-spots occasionally on the lens-other than when completely submerged. The Go pro owners manual suggests to use Rain X to remove them. Anyone try this? Results? Thanks

Is it a glass or plastic lens? If it's plastic IDK if I would since:

Sea Yoda, the short answer is that Rain-X contains several alcohols that damage acrylic ports.

For those further interested, here's the long answer:

Optical-grade acrylic, polymethylmethacrylate, is a polymer. Anything that breaks the polymeric backbone will result in cracking, or hazing (which results from microscopic cracks).

Materials that mildly solvate the backbone produce these delayed imperfections. Generally, all distilates from petroleum so perform. These would include gasoline, mineral spirits, diesel, Stoddard solvent, etc.

The backbone may be broken by removal of the acrylate active group by common bases, such as ammonia or sodium hydroxide. This may be also be accomplished somewhat less elegantly via "brute force" by common oxidizing acids, such as Nitric and Sulphuric.

Hydrocarbons whose structure forces a presentation of an electronegative group will easily solvate strand-to-strand interactions, causing immediately damage and flexibility. Some of these materials are 2-butanone (MEK), acetone, dichloroethane, etc. Those with groups of lesser gradient that are similarly "presented" will act by causing cracking and hazing, such as isopropyl alcohol, phenol, ethanol, t-butanol, etc.

Most "rain repellents" work because of silicone. Molecules containing multiple atoms of silicon, siloxanes, are placed into microscopic surface imperfections. Water then cannot cling to the silicon, and thus, the glass (or other substrate).

Rain-X uses several alcohols, ethyl alcohol and isopropyl, to act as a carrier for the siloxanes. This has the added bonus of cleaning the surface imperfections, allowing better grip by the siloxanes, and better durability of the applied material.

RVR places the siloxanes into an emulsion with water. This makes application more difficult, and less durable, than the Rain-X formulation, but will not damage acrylic.

I guess this a point for expensive glass ports.

Whew! Class adjourned.

All the best, James

Some years ago I asked this question on another board and received this answer:
From Shell Lubricants - maker of RainX:

The Rain-X original glass treatment contains a very high concentration of alcohol, which makes it incompatible to Polycarbonate and Plexiglas surfaces. It will etch the surface making it extremely hard to see through.

Randy Walker

Technical Service Representative
Shell Lubricants

There's also supposed to be a marine version of RainX that's safe for plastics. Someone else suggested a Novus product that works well also.
The RVR product James mentioned is aircraft related afaik. Google: rain-x site:scubaboard.com - for other threads about it.

like diversteve said, regular rainX will ruin a plastic lens.

There are plastic specific products. Most motorcycle shops will have something for motorcycle windshields and helmet visors.

Reactions: Jax
like diversteve said, regular rainX will ruin a plastic lens.

There are plastic specific products. Most motorcycle shops will have something for motorcycle windshields and helmet visors.

Good advice. Thanks

I love fdog's posts . . . not only did I learn about Rain-X, but I also learned never to clean my acrylic things with solvents!

Resurrecting an old thread here... Both the standard and dive housing have a glass lens. Why not use Rain-x for glass on the lens?

Water droplets outside the housing and fogging are two different things. Rain-X or the good old "spit'n'dunk" will take care of the droplets. To handle the fogging, use anti-fog inserts and avoid opening the housing.

I am a bit confused with some of the posts. Is rain-x a cleaner or a protective coating. I have always used it as a protectorate. You clean away the spots and put on the protection coating on CLEAN GLASS.

---------- Post added August 16th, 2015 at 02:02 AM ----------

As far as I know any rain-x I have used is not a cleaner it is a protective coating to enhance rain run off on glass. Unless there is an actual rain-x cleaning product. Normally you clean water spots with water. solvents do not remove water well. Solvents like alcohol are evaporating chemicles that leave a desired residue RAIN-X behind.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom