Critters Of Sulawesi - GoPro Macro Video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

onderwaterfoto

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Short video of the little critters from Sulawesi in Indonesia. Captured in the Lembeh Strait and in Bunaken National Park. Some marine life in the video: nudibranches, frogfish, mimic octopus, shrimp, leaffish and many more creatures from almost another planet. Music is from Ludovico Einaudi. I hope you enjoy the video.

Equipment: 2 x GoPro Hero 3 Black, BlurFix 3 SO, URPRO Red Filter, 2 x 55mm Marumi Macrolens, 2 x Light & Motion Sola 1200, SRP Tray.

https://vimeo.com/113448302

Exellent video. The best GOPRO macro video I have ever seen . Can you please tell us which settings do you use for underwater macro/protune, Wb, cam raw..../ and how do you post process. Thank you!

Exellent video. The best GOPRO macro video I have ever seen . Can you please tell us which settings do you use for underwater macro/protune, Wb, cam raw..../ and how do you post process. Thank you!

Of course, no problem. I used Protune in the past but not anymore. It is just too much work in post processing. WB is just auto. I shoot in 2.7k@30fps in medium fov. Wrecks in wide. I never use 60fps (only when you need a slomo). 30 fps is much better. The shutter is slower, so more light will fall on the sensor. I postprocess in PowerDirector. WB corrector is a nice and powerful tool. And the color correction function is also very nice in PD.

If you want to know more, please ask.

Of course, no problem. I used Protune in the past but not anymore. It is just too much work in post processing. WB is just auto. I shoot in 2.7k@30fps in medium fov. Wrecks in wide. I never use 60fps (only when you need a slomo). 30 fps is much better. The shutter is slower, so more light will fall on the sensor. I postprocess in PowerDirector. WB corrector is a nice and powerful tool. And the color correction function is also very nice in PD.

Thank you for your advice. I am going to try this settings next year, because I do not dive during winter. One more question: do you convert video files(mp4) in Gopro studio to avi or mov file before procesing in PowerDirector? How do you achieve so sharp, crisp and steady video? Amazing!!!

No I don't use Studio. I use PowerDirector for the whole proces. So no need for converting. Main output from PD is 2K@30fps in m2ts stream. So a little more bitrate then mp4.

Sharp, crisp and steady? Well steady hands, a lot of dives, macro lenses (stackable) and lights. And a bit of luck of course.

Good info thnx for posting

excellent macro work.

a noble job.

Salutes to you !

Yes really nice video with fantastic close up ! You use both light and filter on the film ? How does the pictures looks like when using macro lens on a subject at more than 30 cm from the camera does it distort ?

Yes really nice video with fantastic close up ! You use both light and filter on the film ? How does the pictures looks like when using macro lens on a subject at more than 30 cm from the camera does it distort ?

Yes the image will be unsharp.

Wow! I'm thinking about making the transition to video or even just for having selectable frames to capture.

Red filter even with the heavy blue spectrum of the video lights? In your estimation would the color cast still be there if you were not using the red filter?

For the critters, especially the nudi's would a single macro be sufficient?

If starting out with a single video light do you think the contrast or shadows would be far too distracting?

Just trying to figure out a budget.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom