looking for a reasonably priced dive light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scotttyd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I just acquired a new gopro silver hero4 - I have $400 in amazon gift cards and looking to see if I can find a reasonably priced light for it. I know if you want a really good set up you have to shell out more $$, but I am more of a photographer vs a videographer - but know I would want something other than blue videos. I have a friend who I can probably get to make a decent tray attachment and maybe something I can piggyback on top of my camera.

any suggestions?

pair of Hog Morph 1000 Video backup lights would probably be the best thing. GoPro's are finicky because they have such a wide FoV, so you really have to have a pair of lights to keep it from having dark edges. The Hog's aren't cheap but they're pretty high quality and available on amazon which makes this a bit restrictive. Big Blue and Light in Motion may also be on there

pair of Hog Morph 1000 Video backup lights would probably be the best thing. GoPro's are finicky because they have such a wide FoV, so you really have to have a pair of lights to keep it from having dark edges. The Hog's aren't cheap but they're pretty high quality and available on amazon which makes this a bit restrictive. Big Blue and Light in Motion may also be on there

You talking about these:
Amazon.com : Hog Morph 1000 Core - Video : Sports & Outdoors
that would be almost $1000 for the pair - way more than I want to spend

as far as the big blue - I found this

Amazon.com : BigBlue Underwater 350 Lumen LED Light System Kit for GoPro Action Video Camera : Camera & Photo

although only 350 lumens

Are there any set ups with a lights that wide enough to only need one? or are two a necessity? Bascially would I be better off buying one good light, or two cheaper lights? What is the minimum lumens I should look at? I don't want to go totally cheap and waste my money, but also not looking to make professional quality - jsut something to show off to my friends

the morph you listed is the core system, you wouldn't need two of those, one of those with an extra cord and extra light head would get you a lot of burn time, or you could just get the two backup lights though I don't see those on amazon which is the problem...

the morph you listed is the core system, you wouldn't need two of those, one of those with an extra cord and extra light head would get you a lot of burn time, or you could just get the two backup lights though I don't see those on amazon which is the problem...

I saw this Amazon.com : HOG Morph Spot Light Head : Sports & Outdoors

but I see 8 degree beam, that is a spot light vs a video light, right?

350 Lumens on the Big Blue setup would be enough for at night but won't be of much use during the day in bright conditions. Also 55o is under what I'd consider adequate for use with the GoPro standard setting since it shoots at 170o - you'll see black rings around your subject where the light doesn't reach - although for close-up work it should be adequate. The better GoPro lights are in the 100-100o beam angle typically - and used in pairs.

Pricewise the better deal is the farthest one over in that link since the lights are 900 lumens at 85o - for $525.

that's the limitation with having to use the Amazon gift cards, without it you can call Jim or Dive Right in Scuba, or hell even go down the road to Air Hogs and see if you can work a deal something with them, but Amazon has a pretty small scuba selection and it is usually purchasing through different dive shops not Amazon directly. It may be worth calling DRiS since they sell on Amazon and see if they can work something out for you to pay with those gift cards, but I'm not sure how that works for them.

350 Lumens on the Big Blue setup would be enough for at night but won't be of much use during the day in bright conditions. Also 55o is under what I'd consider adequate for use with the GoPro standard setting since it shoots at 170o - you'll see black rings around your subject where the light doesn't reach - although for close-up work it should be adequate. The better GoPro lights are in the 100-100o beam angle typically - and used in pairs.

thanks man - do you have any specific lights/links that you think are good and I can check out? or links to any reviews here?

LeisurePro sells on Amazon. IDK if they list their video lights there though.

---------- Post added February 1st, 2015 at 09:02 AM ----------

I think the Big Blue setup is focused on expansion so they're giving the the basics of the clamps/ball setup without extension arms. All those pieces cost at least $25 ea. retail. So look for a setup with flex-arms instead if you don't need that - the loc-line tubing sells for something like $30 for the whole arm - including mountings on each end - allowing better lights to be included at the price point.

Here's an example - 700 lumens/75o beam angle - $399.

Amazon.com : Mozaik - Lighting Package BTS GoPro Dual Tray Arm w/Dual Fantasea Action 700 Video Light : Electronics

Here's another one but you'll still need to provide a tray:
Amazon.com : Nocturnal Lights M700i 700 Lumen LED Focus/Video Light Package with 2" Flex Arm + 1/4"-20 T-Base : Underwater Photography Lighting : Electronics

Shooting Underwater is a U/W Camera/Video Retailer that sells on Amazon. They appear to have most of the Nocturnal Lights line available thru their Amazon Store. As well as listing several other light mfr's in their Amazon Storefront. Click their name in Amazon to see all of it. You can probably also contact them directly for help in putting together pieces you can buy with your cards and assemble into a package - or there's others already listed there - I didn't check. ShootingUnderwater @ Amazon.com:

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom