Puerto Rico diving; Vieque vs La Parquera vs Rincon?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Torontonian

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi.

we'll be going to Puerto Rico at the end of Aug. for a few days. I'm a diver, my wife and 2 friends are snorkelers. I'd like to arrange some diving/snorkeling. I'd like to go to Desecheo island in Rincon one day. I hear Desecheo is really good, but not sure about the rest of Rincon. Will also go to La Parquera 1-2 days.

We'd like to go to either Farjado or Vieque for a night bio bay tour one night, but still trying to decide whether to go to Vieque island. If going to Vieque island, there's an expensive option to go there one night from Farjado and back. Or stay on Vieque one night and go diving/snorkeling in the morning.

How do the diving compare:

Vieque Island vs La Parquera vs Rincon?

You have a mixed group of divers and snorkelers.

This may be a complication as some venues are friendly to both groups on the same boat... while other sites are divers or snorkelers only. So be sure to check this before you book.

In truth the three destinations are wonderful. See you soon.

Dont over look Culebra. Just a $2.50 ferry ride from Fajardo. Awsome diving!
Sorry Tollie, not trying to steal your customers.

I looked up the dive shop in Culebra and they don't come to Vieques to pick up. One would have to get to Culebra first. So in the limited time Culebra is out.

How is Rincon area (other than Desecheo) compared to La Parquera?

Shore diving off Rincon can be wonderful with viz in the 50 foot range and plenty to see. Walls and shallow reefs. However... it can be very poor as well on some days with limited viz... if there is rain and runoff or it can be too rough for safe entry and exit if there is a swell in.

Shore diving at Parguera is very limited... but like Rincon (Desecheo) the off shore boat diving is excellent and both are worth the trip. Again be sure to check for snorkeling and do book ahead.

If you want the best Bio bay. It is defiantly in Vieques. Not sure about diving in Vieques though, never been diving there.

The Parguera walls are great. Desecheo is great too. Culebra depends on the viz.

Any chance you can fill us in on what you eventually decided to do? I've dove La Parguera three times and love it but I'd like to hear back from you, especially if you dove Rincon or Vieques.

I wrote some review, but it didn't get saved and I didn't try again. Now I'll try again.

We ended up taking a fast evening cat from Farjado to Vieques Island for the bio bay trip. It was great. Came back the same night, so didn't dive in Vieques (or Culebra).

Went to La Parquera for 2 days of diving. Unfortunately a tropical storm had just passed by 3 days before and it washed a lot of sand away. Viz was not very good there.

For 2 afternoons, we dove in nearby reefs, while my wife and friends snorkeled. The 2nd afternoon my wife and a friend tried Discovery scuba. I felt the shop didn't do a good job teaching them. Both did not enjoy and don't want to try again. The 3rd morning I booked up (they had 4 divers including me, so would go) with another shop and we did go to the wall. That was much better. Angel the captain said the viz is still not as good as it can be but already much better after the storm.

That afternoon we went to Rincon. The next morning we went to Desecheo island for diving/snorkeling. It was quite good there, very good viz and reef. Not a lot of big fish. The boat ride back was rough, there was wind and rain. It also felt a bit cool. Didn't think it'll be that way in Aug.

So for diving, I'd rate Desecheo very good. Parquera wall pretty good.

Ahoy there!
Next time you go to Puerto Rico try diving with West Divers in La Parguera, they are great and can show you parts of the wall that have been seldom dove. No more than 6 divers on the boat at once, no matter what! Personal service, second to none. Great snacks during S.I.'s. We went in July and we had a great time. We dove with them 2 days in a row. The viz was great. One part of the wall that we went to was VJ levels, the divemaster discovered that section himself. Awesome! Starts at about 70 feet then levels off into a trench that is actually in the wall. Divers fit single file with black coral overhanging over them. Very nice relaxing dive. We also went to the Chimmeny. A great swimthrough that you can actually go straight up into and exit into the shallows. Windows was another great dive. Volcanic rock forrmations with coral growth all over it that had openings in them just like windows, it was very cool. You could see both sides of the reef at the same time. The reefs were very healthy and the marine life was pretty nice as well. I have seen more fish in my time but the corral formations, dive masters, and the water was great.

Rincon was another story. No marina, carry tanks yourself to and fro from the boat, on sand. With that heat lugging tanks on my vacation was not cool at all.
They are a makeshift operation that do not have it together. I once made a reservation with them and they told me over the phonre that they had 2 spots left. Great I said, book it! When we arrived they told me that the boat was full but that if I wanted to snorkle it would be $75.00. Haha, I don't think so! I expressed my disgust and vowed to let everyone that I know in the diving community not to dive with them.

Granted they dive Desecheo, which is the bomb, and they are the closet ones to it,. But as far as we are concerned, to having to lug tanks on vacation? Pay $110.00 for 2 tanks, Naw, I can do better than that. Catch a boat in Agaudilla or even La Parguera and they will take you where you want, just prearrange it and let them know where and what you want to dive.

Well there are my 2 cents.

Good Viz,
George

18 days til Roatan, AKR here we come!

I did dive with West Divers the first two trips. Pillar the owner was not a friendly person. May be her personality, but in business you need show enthusiasm toward the dives, the sites, and to the customers.

My wife and a friend tried the discovery scuba with them. I don't think they did a good job. My friend kept feeling his tank was rolling to one side, was not comfortable. My wife didn't fare that well either. After the $125/p, neither of them wanted to try scuba again. It took a lot of encouragement and co-ercing by my BIL for my wife to try again when we were at Coki Beach (St. Thomas) and they did a much better job there.

Sounds like you had good dives at La Parguera. Like I said, the viz wasn't that good when I was there, as it was days after a storm. The last day (morning) that I went with Angel of Parquera Divers was much better. Angel showed the enthusiasm that most good successful dive ops have.

---

We knew ahead of time that going to Desecheo island, the dive op required us to help carry/pass the tanks from shore to the boat. They don't have a marina, and loads the tanks that way. The $110 is steep, but it's also 45min. ride. Too bad they messed up your reservation, and should have somehow compensate you. But it would cost more from other places, simple because it's further away and will require a longer boat ride. If you did get a chance to go, the diving/snorkeling there is quite good.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom