Puerto Rico - Vieques or Culebra?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mars1954

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,
I'd appreciate your help. If you were going to PR and could only choose one of these other islands, which would you choose from a diving perspective?

I'd love to see both, but don't have too much time, and don't want to spend a lot of it traveling from one place to the next!

Any advice would be much appreciated! Marlene

I'd skip them both and go to Rincon, but that's just me :wink:

Culebra is the smaller of the 2 and it looks like there might be some good diving off the north. I haven't gotten close enough to Vieques to really check it out.

Have fun in any case!

Rachel

I just got back last week from a vacation in which I spent 10 days on Culebra and four on Vieques. I'm an avid snorkeler (don't scuba anymore), so I might not be able to give all the first hand info you might need as a diver. However, I did a lot of research regarding both islands before I went, and I also spent many hours snorkeling there at various locations, especially on Culebra. My impression is that Culebra is considered the better diving spot, especially because the water is usually clearer than in Vieques. My snorkeling observations support this generalization. The vis for beach snorkeling in Culebra was usually about 30-40 ft (absolute max of maybe 50 ft on a couple of occasions in limited areas), whereas it was only 20-25 ft in Vieques. I mentioned this limited vis to the guy in the dive shop in Vieques, and he said that because of the persistent winds while I was there, they weren't getting much better vis on the offshore scuba sites, either.

Other observations: Although there was very good growth of coral on Culebra, it was the most non-fishy place I have seen in the Caribbean (I've been to the Bahamas, Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Roatan, and Akumal). There were very few fish other than the typical small/juvenile wrasse, grunts, and damsels you see everywhere in the Caribbean. I wonder if this is also true at scuba depths. I saw more pillar coral in Culebra than I have seen elsewhere. There is one dive shop on Culebra that runs dive charters (Culebra Divers), and I think there is someone named Taz or Traz that also takes out divers. The main dive operation on Vieques is Blackbeard's, which also has a dive shop. I really enjoyed both islands. They didn't have mega-tourism and cruise ships, thank God. They are quite different from each other and each has some advantages. Before I went, I thought I would like Culebra much more, and I was surprised to find that Vieques was better than I expected. Bottom line - I don't think either island can be considered a "world-class" dive destination such as Cozumel or Cayman, but I think you could have a very relaxed and fun dive vacation there.

If you want more info, send me a p.m.

Culebra Culebra Culebra. Dive with Walter @ Culebra Divers he has some great spots. Awesome island and great beaches lovely dive environment

Hi, I have been to Vieques 2 times. Both times have been to the south part, Horseshoe Reef I think is called, I didnt enjoy it as much. From what I have heard culebra has better dive spots. If you have time you better go to Desecheo island in the west side or parguera in the south to do some espectacular wall dive.

Thank you all for the feedback. We ended up going to Hawaii this time - no diving, but lots of other activities. I think next time will be a straight dive trip - Bonaire maybe? Thanks for your thoughts!

Skip them. Go to Culebra and Culebrita if you want some amazing beaches. But for diving Stay in Puerto Rico.

Back
Top Bottom