Diving Puerto Rico in December & January

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubadude

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Ahoy there salts,
my girl and I are planning a trip to Puerto Rico in late December early January. Can anyone tell me how the conditions are at that time of year? I hear that surfers from all over the world come to suff at that time, which tells me that the west coast may be a bit to rough to dive the island of Desecheo. However the South coast may be calmer. Any advice mates?

Thank you in advance for your responses and advice.

George

Ahoy there salts,
my girl and I are planning a trip to Puerto Rico in late December early January. Can anyone tell me how the conditions are at that time of year? I hear that surfers from all over the world come to suff at that time, which tells me that the west coast may be a bit to rough to dive the island of Desecheo. However the South coast may be calmer. Any advice mates?

Thank you in advance for your responses and advice.

George

George:

In that time frame you will see rough seas across the island. All those cold fronts in States head south and bring lots of storm activity in the West side, However what is amazing about PR is the fact that is big enough to have different weather patterns. So when the weather is bad on the East Coast is usually good on the West. The same with the South. I am from PR and I went home last Mar '13, so I had to scratched my diving trip to Aguadilla (West) but was able to dive in Ponce and Guanica and the weather there was awesome. Another thing is that the Caribbean sea tends to be more calm than the Atlantic...

If you need advice on where to stay and dive ops to use let me know or check out my other post for more information..Let me know how I can help you!!!

Thanks

Gino

Last edited:
I have been diving out of La Parguera in the southwest portion of the island between Christmas and New Year's for the past eight years or so. The weather is usually good that week. Yes, there can be exceptions but we have generally had good weather. You can check the waves on the morning news programs. Even those reports are not necessarily applicable. For example, we heard one morning there were 8-10 foot waves out of Ponce (1.5 hours east). When we went out, there were very small waves.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom