Turks and Caicos...Pricey...is it worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KLSanford

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am starting to plan our next dive trip for Spring 2015 and thinking it is time to go somewhere new. We would like to go to Turks and Caicos, but it sure seems a lot more expensive than Cozumel, Roatan, or even Bonaire. We don't mind spending a bit more if it is worth it. I would appreciate any feedback, including dive ops that you would recommend. We like friendly dive ops w/ smaller boats and smaller groups. Also, is it possible to find a 1 bd room condo for less than $200 night?
Thanks in advance. :)

Tough to find a condo at that price. I love turks and go regularly. Diving is great. I usually dive with Dive Provo, great outfit. If you are looking for smaller boat Flamingo Divers max 8 divers but jane and Mickey book up really early.

The turks and Caicos explorer is a great live aboard week with up to 27 dives.

West caicos and french cay are fabulous northwest point is very good but just not as spectacular as the others. Expect sharks I have had only one dive without them in over 100 dives there.

Any additional questions feel free to message me.

Did a long weekend in salt cay last summer and it was great. There is literally nothing to do except hang out at the restaurant by the dive shop or porter's island thyme (which is being sold). Stayed at castaways, owned by porter (of aforementioned porter's island thyme) and Haidee, although they're selling the restaurant which I presume may mean they're selling the hotel as well. If you are truly liking for solitude look no further.

The dive operation is top-notch. Debbie owns the dive shop and Richard is the DM. There were 6 of us and Richard--he just anchors the boat and gets in the water with you. (We were there right before they close for hurricane season so this may change in the high season.). The main bonus of diving there is it is a 5 minute boat ride to the diving. You return to the restaurant for your surface interval. This makes for a lot of R&R. It's not for everyone, though, since it's a sleepy little island.

That said, if I go back, I will spend a bit more time in Provo and/or possibly do the aggressor (assuming I enjoy the liveaboard diving I'm doing next week. :)). But if you've got some time, want to get away from it all, and don't do a liveaboard (or have some extra days) it's definitely worth a few days on the island.

One thing to note: if you go to grand Turk you may try to time it so you're not there when the cruise ships are docking. Don't know if that's possible, but I understand there are scuba excursions that can be annoying.

Another vote for the explorer. Land based boat trips can be very long....

I often wondered how one can manage to live on such a small island like Salt Cay (without going stir crazy), so sad to see Porter and Haidee go. I dare say they made the place, with fun, ambiance and good..great food! Salt Cay will miss them dearly, it's not good news.

We spent 8 days there followed by 7 days in Provo. Good times. We were going back to dive with Debbie the next year but she didn't like the fact we mentioned we didn't think our villa was in great shape. She ignored my emails and we went to Grand Turk the next year instead. I guess business is good enough to give up 3 divers over 6 days. Oh wait we did see Craig back on GT diving with Oasis after diving for Debbie.

Sad that the T&C feels it necessary to put captured dolphins on display for the cruisers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you want to dive Provo I'd suggest Club Med .Everything is included for a lot less than you'd spend to stay anyplace that's halfway decent on the island. Check out Columbus Isle San Salvador Bahamas also

Back
Top Bottom