In Kauai right now need advice please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Itsahobby

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all,
Our boat trip was cancelled, do to the high winds, and I am looking for a good shore dive. We free dove Tunnels yesterday and saw a lot of fish there. I was thinking of going there today and doing 2 dives. Or would Koloa beach be a better choice?
Any suggestions would be helpful.
Experience: My son and I are PADI cert. and have 10 dives each. I was certifed perviously, 25 years ago. But got re-certified a couple months ago.

Thanks for any help,
Jerry

Koloa Landing has some very neat creatures and the entry/exit is pretty protected from the wind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought Koloa landing was much better for fish life than Tunnels. As fisheater said, it's also a bit more protected than other areas. Go slow and look in all the nooks and crannys. We saw Lion Fish, octopus, dragon moray, various other eels, turtles, imperial nudi's, lots of fun stuff!

It's also a very easy dive. Gear up, walk in, drop down and go out the right side and back. Surface interval. Repeat on the left side! Remember, go slow and keep your eyes peeled! :D

I did this dive last year, guided, with Anthony from SeaSport. It was well worth doing it guided, saw a ton of stuff that I would have missed. One of the things I love most about that is seeing where they find things and what critters like to hide where so you can spot stuff better on your own. Big fan of Seasport, I did 10 dives with them when we were there and feel they're one of the best shops I've run across. The staff is awesome!

I just left Kauai yesterday and Kaloa is still a little dirty from the rain this winter. Lots of silt. However once you swim past this you are fine. Its a neat area. Go by Seasport Divers. They are very close to Kaloa and have a map of it. They will show you where to go and its a nice shop to rent from. Good guys for sure and my favorite operation I have dove with.

Thanks, we snorkeled Bennecke's today. Saw a large turtle and a lot of different fish.
I hope we can get to Koloa, but booked a Kayak trip tomorrow and we leave Friday. So we would have to go Thursday.
Thanks again for all your advice.

Back
Top Bottom