Maui - Back Wall or Hammerhead site?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Baroo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hey all - heading to Maui for my honeymoon in a month and looking for suggestions for a dive. I'm planning on going with Lahaina Divers but can't decide whether to do the Molokini Back Wall or the Hammerhead dive. I'm an advanced diver with lots of experience in various conditions.

Thx!

They are both good dives and I have done both.

On the back wall, you always see something since the wall has so much to see and at varied depths.

For the hammerhead dive, it depends on what's in the area that day. It's a blue water dive so unless there are hammerheads or rays or other sharks around, you might not see much. However, when you do, it's awesome.

Lahaina Divers has a regularily scheduled charter to the back wall where they do 2 tanks, weather permitting. We just did 2-tanks on the back wall with Ed Robinsons on Friday since conditions were so good, but today nobody was back there because of the waves.

Yesterday at Molokai the Hammerheads were at the surface circling the boat! BUT the also had 6-8 foot seas, 25 knot winds, and rain....so sometimes you have to pay to play!!

Both are great, be heading over to the crater on wed...conditions will tell inside or out.

---------- Post Merged at 02:23 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 02:23 PM ----------

Good luck getting to the Back Wall. I think you might have more chance of winning the lottery.

why isn't there an unlike button...for the nonresidence

Can't we do both? Actually, time of year and conditions will be a deciding factor. If the channel is really bumpy, the Molokai hammerhead dive can be very rough. If I had to choose one ( have done both a couple of times). I would go with the Molokai dive. If it's a choppy windy day ( 5 feet waves or worse) I would go back wall. But again, can't we do both? BTW, we have dove with Lahaina divers for years, and endorse them totally.
DivemasterDennis

The best chance to dive the back wall I've found it to go on the Ed Robinson's 3 tank charter. If the conditions are right and the divers indicate that is their preference it will likely happen. Last time I did that charter we did 2 of the 3 dives on the back side of the crater. reefs end drift plus one starting at the other corner (end of the world I think). It does depend a lot on the conditions too. And it's ultimately the captin's decision. I've yet to do the Molokai dives but it's on the bucket list.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom