Maui shore diving, recommendations.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mustang29

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
We fly out for Maui in the morning, and I'm wondering, what are your recomended or must-do dives on the Island?
We're staying in Ka'anapali, but will be diving both West & South Maui. We will have 4 1/2 days of shore diving, and one trip to Lanai with Extended Horizons. So with our limited time to dive, figuring 3 to 4 tanks per day, what sites would you recomend?

My must do dives on the west side are, Mala Wharf and Honolua bay.
I am having trouble deciding on the other locations, such as: Black Rock, Kapalua Bay, Olowalu, Ukumehame Beach, and Shark Pit.

My must do dive in the south is 5 Graves / Makena, will be doing that with Shaka Doug.
Others that we are considering on the only day we will have on the south end: LaPerouse, Ahihi cove, and Red Hill.
I'm kind of leaning towards diving LaPerouse really early to try & dive with the spinner dolphin that hang there, and later on, hook up with Doug for two tanks. What other site should we do? Is LaPerouse still a good dive if the spinners don't show?

Do any of you have any other sites that should be added to the list? Are there any on my list that I should scrap?
Of Olowalu & Ukumehame, if you could only dive one, which one would it be?

Other then going on a Scooter dive with scubahawk27, you pretty much have it covered. If I only could do one it would be Makena. Have fun, wish I were going back this week.

Steve E.

The Mala pier is my favorite shore dive on Maui.

In the south, I like Polo Beach -- go to the north end and head a bit up the shore, and you find long fingers of rock, covered in corals. These are some of the most colorful and healthiest corals I've seen from the Maui shore. We've seen a lot of interesting animals at this site, including nudibranchs and several species of moray. Polo has restrooms and showers, and lots of parking. You have to be a bit careful on return, because the hotel there runs a large outrigger canoe in and out of the water there.

Mustang,

Let me know if you are interested in scooter diving, Just finished a tune up on the Apollos. Lots of fun with a chance to see some pretty cool marine life. PM if you want more info.

To answer your last question first, Olawalu is a must- the prettiest reef in all the islands. Be sure to swim out a ways before descending to get to the very heavy turtle action. If you do Black Rock, try and do it as a night dive. Otherwise it's pretty limited and full of snorkelers and kids diving from an outcropping. Since you are going to do Five Graves (an excellent choice) a nearby dive at Ulua Bay is a great second location for the day. Ulua has an inner and outer reef. Finally, pass on shark pit. Go a quarter mile north and do Mala Wharf as planned. Lots more there. In addition to frog fish and some good macro stuff, you are more likely to see sharks (white tip reef sharks) there than at shark pit. Finally, just north of Kaanapali is a site called old airport. It's decent diving, and lots of pretty hard corals, but the park and facilities on shore are what makes this a great place for everyone. Great beach. grassy park, fresh water showers, covered pavilion with tables, flush toilets, and its a public park! On arrival, go in to the nearest Maui dive shop and get their shore dive site guide- a nice magazine full of ads in which about 30 shore dive sites are described and sort of diagrammed.
I haven't dove Maui since February. That was my 12th time. I want to go back now!
DivemasterDennis

Of Olowalu & Ukumehame, if you could only dive one, which one would it be?
I would do Ukumehame, if it's accessible - pretty decent coral, if not a lot of variation in relief, but the chance to swim with the mantas is worth it. Be careful about choosing the spot, tide, and conditions for entry there - there can be a big rip current, and it's shallow for a long ways except in the (rip) channels. Just south of there is also some outstanding coral: Park at the last dirt lot on the mountain side of the road, just as the road heads up to the tunnel. It's a bit of a swim out and to the left under the pali, but some great heads and channels. I think the charters call that area Coral Gardens. Red Hill way down south, from the beach in Makena State Park, at the near side of the hill, is also nice - swim out and left. I think the fish life there has usually been a bit better for us than many other places (besides Honolua Bay).

Back
Top Bottom