Elevation of Highway thru Waimea?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive California

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Does anybody know the elevation along Highway 27 and 19. If I dive Kona in the morning, can I drive over to the Hamakua District? I know the other route (Highway 11) is too high, but was wondering about Highway 27 and 19. Thanks.

It tops out about 2900 feet just east of Waimea. The town itself is 2600-2700 feet.

I'd be careful if you drive up there after repetitive dives that push the ND limits. I did to go to dinner at Daniel Thiebaults, and got some distinctly tingly skin sensations during dinner. That got my attention, but luckily went away as soon as we came back down near sea level. Took 190 (the high road) over there, and made a beeline down to the coast on 19 after dinner.

Your mileage may vary. My skinny wife had no weirdness. I'd dive nitrox if you plan to do this.

As Lopaka said, stay well within ND limits, and stay shallow! If you go deep, come close to an ND limit, dive in the late afternoon, or have any doubts at all, then stay in Kona for the night.

I live in Hilo, and have often done dives on the Kona or Kohala side and driven back via Waimea the same day... I know, I know, this is certainly NOT what DAN recommends... but I dive in the morning, 2 dives, and keep them pretty shallow (40-50 feet), and then wait at sea level a minimum of 4 hours (but often 6 hours) before driving through Waimea.

Again, just don't push it regarding depth, ND limits, or diving late in the afternoon if you plan to drive through Waimea.

Most of our divers take a pretty conservative approach...waiting 18 hours before driving to an altitude over 2,000. That's our recommendation. Of course some divers choose to dive conservatively and then take this route. As certified adults you can certainly make that decision. Each person is different. Dive (and drive) safe...and have fun.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom