Sea Tiger and Horseshoe Reef/Kewalo Pipe with Kaimana Divers- 4/7/12

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bjgove1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
After reading all the great reviews about Kaimana Divers, I finally got a chance to dive with them yesterday out of Kewalo Basin. Since I haven't done any Oahu wreck diving in a few years, I thought it'd be a nice change of pace from the normal reef dives of Oahu. Well, I wasn't disappointed as myself and two friends had a great time and even though one of us had a bit of bad luck both dives were great. Here's a quick pic with more to come soon.

Magnificient Snake Eel
magnifiecentsnakeeel.jpg

um...sorry to say, and I could be wrong but I dont think that is a magnificent snake eel. Its facial structure is different from that of the magnificent snake eels, those markings are not of the magnificent snake eels. This eels head is more like that of a zebra moray, I will go out on a limb and say, its not indigenous, if it is, its been a very long time since anyone has seen one. Its not in the Hoover books, and I can not find it on line anywhere, I could be wrong.

I thought Mag Snake Eel because the Hawaii Shore Fishes book says that the "larger" Mag Snake Eel has more spots. This guy was about as big around as my pinky, so I assumed that the spots would get smaller as he grew. I'm an Engineer not a Marine Biologist, so thats my best guess.

---------- Post added April 9th, 2012 at 10:56 AM ----------

Scotti- I enjoyed your pics and short vid. I've been talking the shark dive up with my buddies. Probably gonna try for a trip in July. Lots of other stuff going on b/t now and then. What's you min/max for divers? I'm hoping to fill it up with friends........

3 main points.....

1) Thanks for diving with us! Drew said he had a blast with you boys. Too bad you couldn't make the SHARK DIVE (12 big boys)
2) Awesome photo!
3) Could it be: Saddled Snake Eel, Leiuranus semicinctus

Mahalo,

G
Nice job seeking the name of that guy scotty. if you look really close you can see the rings tapper in at the belly, thus the saddle, and like they said, very rarely seen. awesome pic and what a wonderful sighting, I for one never knew they existed so thanks for the treat, and thanks for sharing and I was not knocking your misnaming the eel, I just noticed it might not be said name and wanted to know more about it.

and for the record, I am not a Marine Biologist either, but now that you know what it is, isnt it great to know you saw and got a picture of something few people who dive here everyday will ever see? that my friend was an epic dive in my book!!

Agreed with Marco....... such a cool moment when you see a new critter! It's one of the main things that makes diving the coolest pursuit around. Keep diving!

G

Hey Gabe (and sorry to the poster for the hijack) I am the cruise ship diver that has signed up with you for the 23rd of April. What dives do you usually do out of Kewalo Basin? This is my first time to Hawaii and I am looking forward to it!

Gaffer (Tom)

Back
Top Bottom