Elite II Harness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Phil_C

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi I have just purchased an Elite II harness that I intend mostly to use with a backplate, STA and single tank. However I have a second setup of a 12 litre steel twinset- obviously quite heavy, that I also use with a backplate. The single continuous harness on that wing has finally given up the ghost and needs replacing and I am considering using the Elite II for both the single and twinset.

Has anyone any experience of whether the plastic shoulder strap quick releases will stand up to the weight of a steel twinset?

Thanks

Phil.

they hold up fine, not sure about that specific one used on that harness, but DR has been using them on the transpacs and transplates for the better part of the last 20 years and I haven't heard of any failure due to the weight. They'll crack if abused, but under normal load each of them is rated for much higher weight ratings than the weight of the twinsets, so as a pair they're no problem

Hi tbone - yes I know the DR ones work well as I have two Transpacs - one rigged for side mount with a Nomad wing and the other for single tank diving, and I haven't had problems with these, but having just got the Hollis one, the clips look a little smaller and my worry was all the weight of the twinset would be on the fitting, where-as with my sidemount the weight is actually above the plastic clip on a metal D ring pulling down, so it doesn't stress the plastic fitting.

Thanks - Phil

still a non issue.

If they are 1" buckles *chest strap only*, they're rated for about 100lbs break strength, 1.5" are about the same
2" are rated for 200lbs break strength. Fully rigged set of double 104's, heaviest tanks you'll really ever see, weigh about 120lbs. One buckle has more than enough strength to handle that, two is even better. Combine that with the fact that if the harness actually does its job properly, most of the weight should be on your hips instead of the shoulders, the only time those buckles should ever see that much weight is if you stand up without the waist and chest straps done, or pick it up by the shoulder straps. Even then, one buckle is more than enough

Back
Top Bottom