Wakatobi extension - is it worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hintermann

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am going to Bali (diving in and around Padang Bai) followed by Wakatobi in October next year. The way the present itinerary is planned is that I arrive in Wakatobi on the charter flight on a Monday, almost immediately transfer to the Pelagian, do a week of liveaboard diving, return to Wakatobi the next Monday and once again almost immediately continue to the charter flight back to Bali and then in to the UK. In other words, I will not be spending anything other than a few hours transit time at the Wakatobi Resort.

I am now considering extending my stay for 4 days after the liveaboard cruise by staying at the resort, doing some more dives, generally relaxing and taking the return flight on Friday that week. My initial enquiries indicate that this will set me back by around $1800 more but I felt that I can live with that if it is worth it. My question is, is it worth it?

• I have heard great things about the Wakatobi Resort house reef. There may be 1 or 2 dives there from the boat itself but is there enough variety on the reef to keep me interested for 6 more dives after the cruise?
  • I will have some spare non-diving time during the extension. Are there any other interesting things to do like hiking, other sightseeing or even relaxing on the beach (if there is a beach)?

I have not committed myself to the extension as yet and would like some tips and advice before I make-up my mind. Thanks in anticipation.

I wouldn't miss the house reef. For me it still is some of the best reef in Indo, including Komodo and Raja Ampat. The life on the wall varies by depth, so you can do it repeatedly at different depths and have a new dive each time. I don't know what the current night dive policy is, but you can drop in near dusk and have a different experience. Even snorkeling the top edge of the wall would be good. It's very often a drift dive, and they'll run you up current as far as you want to go, then you splash and drift right back to the resort. And if it's still there, the biggest, and I mean most humongous, moray I have ever seen lives on the wall. We're talking sea serpent size.

Also some old caves on the island with traces of early inhabitants. I think they offer a cross-island walking tour, and also on your no-fly day you can take a guided tour of the local village. You can do a short guided tour of the resort operations. The beach is your classic tropical deal ... white sand, turquoise water of varying colors, requisite palm tree leaning over the water, island in the distance, etc. The happy hour bar at the end of the pier is not to be missed. And if you can get in a couple boat dives, just do it.

For a substantive donation, I will gladly point all of these things out to you myself! :wink:

It has been 4 or so years since I dove on the Pelagian but you spend 2 days just hanging around the resort if I recall correctly. I think it would be worth a few days. Having said that $1800 would go pretty far on Nusa Lembonga and it's a quick 2 hour trip after you fly back into Bali.

Well if your mirroring the trip I did 4 years ago, you could try a week at Sipdan, or a week in Lembeh the resorts are just ideas, I would choose Lembeh over Sipdan. Sipdan is a pain to get to, and more expensive and the school of bumphead parrotfish is the only special feature.

IMG_2501a.jpgIMG_2503.JPG
Well if your mirroring the trip I did 4 years ago, you could try a week at Sipdan
Did Sipadan in September 2012 on board the Celebes Explorer. It was very good but I felt that the publicity about it was greatly exaggerated. The Turtle Cave dive was special...and yes, we saw lots of "bumpies"

Debating if I might surprise the wife with a Wakatobi extension to our Arenui cruise, but wow, at even a week it's big bucks. Junior needs a room of his own, the 2 bedroom villas are insane cost wise. Seems a week can be had in Bali for a fraction of the cost. Nice to knock off Wakatobi. Only recently discovered Bali can be had for much less $, than Misool and the Arenui....

Depending on how we handle 24hr flights, might just ditch the Caribbean entirely if we can stay in Bali for about the same as Coz (sans airfare) I use points to fly. EVA is great for non fuel surcharge Star Alliance rewards.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Indo (and the Indo-Pacific area) is far vastly better than the Caribbean, better to stay in Indo longer and skip the Caribbean,

I have done Wakatobi resort and the Pelagian, and both were well worthwhile. The diving, the accommodations, the food, and the service were all top notch. It isn't cheap but it was worth it.

Back
Top Bottom