DM Internship in (Eastern?) Indonesia -- Where & With Who?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dreifish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I'd like to do a DM intership over 6-12 weeks starting mid-October with an eye towards potentially working as an instructor or videographer down the line. I'd like some help narrowing down the locations for an internship. Looking for good instruction, variety of dive sites (macro and pelagics), possibilities for networking/finding work afterwards.

I have a preference for more off-the-beaten-path locations. Any recommendations as to where I should be looking to? I have the following initial list of possible locations:

Bali -- (Nusa Lemborgan or Pedang Bai?). Haven't dived here, but liked Tulamben -- just not enough variety to spend 6+ weeks there.

Labuan Bajo/Komodo -- high up on my list. Did about 100 dives there earlier this year and would love to return. Main concern is end of season, and also that the far dive sites aren't ideal for a DM course. Like the fact that I may be able to assist on liveaboard trips.

Northern Sulawesi -- where? I've heard nice things about Bangka.

Alor?

Ambon?

Banda Islands?

Raja Ampat/Papua -- does anyone even do DM internships out there?

Nusa Lembongan has great diving. Nice mix of macro-pelagic-drift.
Northern Sulawesi is also great with Lembeh-Bunaken-Banka ( I've not dived Bangka)
two fish actually has operations at Lembongan-Lembeh-Bunaken and I've seen their DMT's move from location to location.
I have no idea about work opportunities after completing your course. I do know most DM's I've dived with in Indonesia are locals, I prefer to give jobs to the locals over westerners as it encourages the local population to think about conserving their environment over destroying it.

Work opportunities for non-Indonesian DMs are far and few between. As Dirtfarmer said, locals get the bulk of the work for obvious reasons (work permits, local knowledge, natural friendliness, etc). If you want to work to work in diving in Indo legally, you need to be an instructor and have some extra skills.
This does not mean you should skip Indonesia for your DM. The sometimes challenging conditions make for accelerated learning and great skills.
You also mentioned video. There are opportunities if you own your own pro rig and are good at it. An ability to market yourself and good sales skills will also be needed.
You should contact dive centres directly and explain what you are after. Their answers will tell you a lot about the sort of courses they teach.
I personally love Padang Bai due to the diversity of dive sites and the traditional feel, but it's no party place...

Work opportunities for non-Indonesian DMs are far and few between. As Dirtfarmer said, locals get the bulk of the work for obvious reasons (work permits, local knowledge, natural friendliness, etc). If you want to work to work in diving in Indo legally, you need to be an instructor and have some extra skills.
This does not mean you should skip Indonesia for your DM. The sometimes challenging conditions make for accelerated learning and great skills.
You also mentioned video. There are opportunities if you own your own pro rig and are good at it. An ability to market yourself and good sales skills will also be needed.
You should contact dive centres directly and explain what you are after. Their answers will tell you a lot about the sort of courses they teach.
I personally love Padang Bai due to the diversity of dive sites and the traditional feel, but it's no party place...

Cedric, I just read your article, although it's two years old I appreciated it very much:

Scuba Diving in Bali: 2012: An environmental change of tide on the horizon

If you want to work to work in diving in Indo legally, you need to be an instructor and have some extra skills.

A big plus for instructor skills is being fluent in other languages than English. That's one area the Europeans thrive over us from the states. If you happen to speak a few more languages than English it's easier to become an instructor and dive your life away living hand to mouth. (probably a good thing I came to diving later in life and not young with no career path)

Padang Bai certainly isn't a party place but it's charming, and I'm slapping myself not leaving enough time during my November trip to hit up the Jetty as I hear there's great Rinopias action going on now.

Thank you for all the responses so far. To clarify a few things:

1. I understand that job opportunities for foreigners in Indonesia as DMs are basically non-existant, and instructors are in oversupply as well. I do speak ok French and Japanese, though I would need so practice to get to the point where I could teach courses in those languages. Is there also an oversupply of videographers?

2. In either event, I realize it's a great way to make a hand-to-mouth existence and have no delusions about what it means to work as an instructor or videographer in the dive industry. I'm mostly interested in gaining experience (as an instructor or videographer) and as a way to learn more about the industry. I have another career I could return to.

Are there any established IDC centers outside of Bali? I'm not aware of any -- maybe in the Gili islands? What I'm after, as much as a solid foundation, is an understanding of the day-to-day workings of a successful scuba business.

1) not necessarily an oversupply of videographers. Many divers going to the good spots of Indonesia (Komodo, Bali, Lembeh, Raja4) are accomplished photographers/videographers and do not necessarily need the services of someone else. You may be benefitting from choosing a place where a lot of certifications are done like Gilis.

2) Good to hear that you are realistic about your expectations. Might avoid you disappointment. Foreign languages will help.

3) There are many IDC centers outside Bali. Gilis are prob the place with most: Trawangan Dive, Blue Marlin and Oceans 5 all qualify. Two fish sounds like a great option for you since you can move between Lembeh, Bunakem and Lembongan...

Dirtfarmer: we got at least 5 rhinopias at the Jetty right now. All seen on a single dive yesterday!

Geko, Oh yeah you just have to rub it in.:wink: I'm coming thru in early November on a Lembeh-Komodo trip and I've already paid extra fees to change my itinerary once, now you keep tempting me. Maybe that's why my credit card won't go thru for booking my DPS-MDO flight, my card wants me to dive the jetty.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom