Help needed for OWD destination with nice diving (and good snorkeling)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

miguelbuk

Registered
Reaction score
Hello! Just started...
Scuba diving has been just a dream... Now I have a chance to do it. I'm on a low budget, but I ok with time.
I've been looking at 3 possibilities, starting this March. I'm looking for corals, fish, colours, anything that's alive... :)
1. As I am in Europe, I could head to Dahab in the Read Sea. Maybe a side trip to Nuweiba. I'm 43, and a long time off-the-beaten path traveler, amazon region, bolivia, pakistan etc. I'm a bit afraid that it's too crowded, too much tourism. I wanted to stay for 2 months maybe.
2. Philippines. The trip will cost more, but if I fly to Cebu city, I could head to Malapascua, Moalboal, Apo Island, Bohol or south Leyte. The problem is that maybe I'll be too inexperienced to see what those places have to offer. Other possibility, would be fly to Manila and go to Puerto Galera. Anilao, not far from Manila, is probably very expensive for me.
3. Utila and Roatan. I can fly for free to Panama. I could go up to Honduras. I know that the Open Water there is cheap, but how is the diving (and snorkeling) compared to those places in the Philippines and Dahab?
Sorry to ask this difficult questions...
Any sugestions would be much appreciated.
Thanks!

Utila/Roatan diving should not even be considered if you have the budget to go to the Philippines. Nowhere in the Caribbean is the diving as good as the Indo-Pacific. I was in Dahab once, and I felt the diving was similar in quality to Caribbean diving. My understanding is that Dahab is far from the best part of the Red Sea. I have not dived elsewhere in the Red Sea, but I would very much like to.

Thank you Lorenzoid. I've been reading threads and watching some videos so I can have a better idea of the locations, but it's a bit confusing...

Do the Philippines - having done both Honduras and the Philippines - the choice isn't really a choice.

"Free to Panama"
I have sailed the both sides and snorkel, there could be some good diving there. I do not know if any dive shops are in the area. The San Blas Inslands on the Caribbean side are great. Maybe someone will know more.

Hi Asteve, it would be great to know more about San Blas. It sure looks nice... :)

I got my OW certification with West End divers in Roatan in March 2014. The shop does a great job, has well trained instructors and the area is kind of funky and inexpensive. I would say (humbly) save your trip to a more exotic locale for when you are a bit more experienced and can enjoy the diving better. During the actual instruction, I was so focused on making sure I 'got it' it was hard to enjoy the scenery. We actually made a second trip to Roatan about 6 months later and really had a great time. We stayed at Media Luna and traveled with a dive group.

I hope this helps. Have fun!

Sorry I miss your post in Jan, The San Blas Inslands are like what I would think the south sea inslands would look like ( never been there )
There is a reef that runs by them, It was back in '85 when I was there, so have no information about dive shops or how you would get to them. I was hoping someone would have information about diving them and post.

Welcome to ScubaBoard!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom