From the warm, clear Monterey waters!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shortsonfire79

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Could have sworn I had already registered here on SB before, but I guess that was DiveBoard, strange. 23/M/Monterey :tmi2: Too many words! Apologies, my coffee kicked in...

Anyways, I recently started taking my dive certs somewhere and started getting in the water weekly. I got PADI OW and adv/rescue certified with my dad some five years ago before a Caribbean cruise and we didn't do a whole lot of diving between then and last year, maybe only a couple dozen dives. My roommates got certified this January and they jumped into the school's NAUI Adv/rescue course so I decided to tag along for a rescue refresh and the weekly dives. Next semester we'll be taking the school's Master course and probably the scientific diving course the following semester (if I decide to push back my graduation date again...) Nowadays I do beach dives every Saturday afternoon and if I'm lucky, my dad will come down from San Francisco to take me on a two-dive boat charter once a month. Looking at my log, I'll hit dive 50 next Saturday! The fam will be headed to Hawaii early June and my dad and I plan on getting at least 4 dives in then, hopefully we get two more!

For the most part, I'm into underwater videography but at the moment I'm limited to a GoPro Hero 3. I just built a PVC tray for it Monday and I've ordered some stuff to make my own LED setup so hopefully I can get a bit more quality stuff before pulling the trigger on a 3/4 or mirrorless camera. Here are some of my ...better... photos that I'd like to share on Facebook. And here's some of the short video clips I put on Instagram. I've been doing camera searches but I'm a broke college kid so that'll be put off for a while. My eye is on the Sony RX100 II right now, though.

My gear setup consists of the following: Everdry 4, Knighthawk 2 BCD, Galileo Luna, Twin Jets with springstraps, A700, weights, mask, snorkel, gloves, booties, narrow beam 800 lumen light, rust bucket of a knife, slate, a bungie-buckle thing, a weight belt I use for free diving, the necessary hangers. I'll be searching for an analog SPG in the near future.

On top of that, one of my roommates abalone rock picked with his dad and got me into it last season as well. Now we're freediving to almost 30' so this season we're aiming for 9"s and 10"s! As practice we picked up a couple of spear poles to hunt down here in Monterey and I have been improving a lot!

I think I've given my whole life story, so I'm going to go trawl the forum for a bit!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom