Hello from Rio!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pgcosta

Contributor
Reaction score
Rio de Janeiro - Brazil (it *is* quite far away...
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello everyone!!

First time in a forum too!!

I'm proud to be part of brazilian small but enthusiastic "tribe" of recreational divers. Since diving conditions in Southeastern Brazil depend heavily on weather, winds, currents and God's Will, we really have to love diving in order to face low temperatures, bad visibility and strong sea conditions and still enjoy it - and you can bet we do!!!

I'll be glad to help with any info concerning scuba diving in Brazil.

PGCosta
Rio de Janeiro

Hi PHCosta... I´m a neighbor from Argentina. Wellcome to SB.

I´ll be in Cabo Frio on December, how´s the diving and the conditions over there?

Ale

:fish:
Nice to meet ya'll. Glad you found Scubaboard and enjoy your time here! Sounds like both of you have a real passion for diving!
:uwphotographer: :talkingfish:

Hi, raider11!!

Nice to know a "vecino"! Hey, if our diving conditions aren´t the best, how about yours, down there. Is there any dive spot where you can wear wetsuits, or a dry suit is mandatory ?

In december, as throughout summer, water temp goes LOW - 18º~20º celsius (but this may be just "warm" for you folks), but the sun goes HOT (sometimes 40º celsius!). Visibility in Cabo Frio depends on wind direction, but you can count on an average of 20 to 30 feet. I don´t know if you´ve been there, but it´s like my backyard, since I happen to dive there at least twice a month. It´s also the classroom for the scuba school I am associated with (and where my training for dive instructor takes place). So please feel free to ask more about anything related to diving and staying there, It´ll be a pleasure to help you out.

See you around, and sorry for the long post...

PGCosta
Rio de Janeiro

The best spots here are on Puerto Madryn where water temp is 8 to 12ºC, same lakes near Bariloche even colder, and same lakes on Cordoba that are 4 to 12ºC. It´s really cold. I´m a new diver so I haven´t been down there yet, but I think a drysuit is the smart choice. The coldest I´ve dive is 11ºC on a 7mm wetsuit, it wasn´t so bad once you are in the water, but jumping in is another story, the cold water running down your back is not a nice feeling :)

It´ll be my first time in Cabo Frio and my firt time to Brasil. 18 to 20º is a nice temp for me, maybe just a 3mm wetsuit... I dive in shorts on Cantera El Terrible (Uruguay) 24ºC.

I´ll send you a PM once my LDS confirm the bookings, maybe if you are around there we can have some drinks.

Thanks a lot for the info.

Ale

PG Costa,

I got certified in Brazil and if you ever come to the Southern California shores, let me know. I speak portuguese as well. The only thing is that the water is just a little colder compared to the temperatures you are used to face in Rio. I got my initial certification in Santa Catarina. Great diving down in Brazil!!!

Take care,

Celso

welcome aboard

Great to see both of you divers from "The Other Down Under" here on the Board! Look forward to your reports and comments about the diving down there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom