New Diver in Northern Illinois

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheScubaBOB

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Greetings Everyone,

Just Certified on Oct 12, 2008.

My Confined Water Class was the weekend of OCt 4th. I actually had a small Claustrophobic Panic attack the first time we went to the bottom of the deep end of the pool (10ft). There was just too much happening in the small space with 8 students & the instructor. Made it through the weekend and signed-up for my Open Water the following weekend.

So the 11th comes and I get to the Quarry. We're suited-up and get wet, do the buoyancy checks and surface swim out to the platform. Looks liek we're ready for our "adventure" dive. We ascend to the 20ft platform and I'm doing just fine. We start out on our swim, heading first to the quarry wall. Then I feel my weight belt shift from my waist down to my hips (which makes it feel like I'm being dragged down). I pause & look towards the surface which only make me feel like I'm sooo far from it. Then I look ahead just in time to see the diver in front of me fade from view. So I try to speed-up to catch up to him. I get to the group where they have paused at the wall and I'm over-exerted now, great.

So my breathing becomes a little erratic. Suddenly the full hood I'm wearing feels like it's closing in on me! I recgonize what's happening- a Claustrophobic panic attack! I try to calm my breathing but just can't. In fact it starts to get worse. Now I start thinking about getting out of here, can I make? That's when I know I have to get to the surface before it gets worse.

I head up! As soon as I'm at the surface I must clear the stuff off my face, I need to feel un-confined to stop the panic that is rolling through me. I remove my mask and spit out my regulator. Yeah I know, NEVER DO THAT! Then I want to inflate my BCD but I hit the wrong button and start to sink. The DiveMaster saw me surface and followed me up. He surfaces and sees my mistake, grabs my inflator and gets me buoyant quickly. once I'm laying onmy back, we remove my hood & loosen the straps on my BCD

Once we get back to shore we make some adjustments to my gear. Most of my weight is moved to the BCD so my weight belt only has 8 lbs on it and I shed the hood.

I'm able to make the second (skills) dive of the day without a problem.

The next morning Orest (Instructor) and Mike (DiveMaster) take me out to make-up the missed dive. We have a good dive without any problems.

I'm able to make the last two skills dives just fine. There was a minor hiccup in the mask removal, replacement & clear. I got a nose full of water but Orest was able to help me maintain calm, recover & finish clearing my mask.

After the Cert Dives, I went on a Fun Dive and was able to go down to 40ft without a problem!

I'm very proud of my PADI Cert especially as I had to overcome a Claustrophobic Panic Attack in the process.

While picking my gear I took this experience into account.

Here is the set-up I have purchased:

SeaQuest Pro QD with I3 inflator system and Integrated Weights.
SeaQuest Legend Regulator & ABS Octopus
Vyper 2 Dive Computer with PC Interface Kit.
Hot Head Hood (not a full one but the "beanie" style with chin strap)
Magna Clip Air2 holder

SeaLife ReefMaster Mini UW DigiCamera with Mares Coil Cord to attach to my BCD.

The attached image is of my daughters & I on the day I bought my gear. They want to learn to Scuba now!

Attachments

• Diving - Marie Bob and CJ - Small.jpg
    Diving - Marie Bob and CJ - Small.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 35
From one new diver to another, Congratulations!

When going through the classroom training, I kept thinking that there was an excessive amount of talk about keeping calm, controlling breathing, not panicing, ect. I wasn't even worried about it. When you get in the water, it's a different story. I was sucking air twice as fast as my instructor and that had to be 100% apprehension causing it.

I had a similar problem with my weight belt sliding down. I had to put it on very tight and then readjust it after it got wet. I'm done with weight belts. I have a non-weight integrated BC so I'm going to buy a DUI weight harness, probably this weekend.

I'm not saying this is your problem but my problem with the belt is that I have too much gut and not enough butt.

When going through the classroom training, I kept thinking that there was an excessive amount of talk about keeping calm, controlling breathing, not panicing, ect. I wasn't even worried about it. When you get in the water, it's a different story. I was sucking air twice as fast as my instructor and that had to be 100% apprehension causing it.

Yeah, getting the calm rythmic breathing down is certianly important to my comfort level. My first dive trip is to the Philippines in Jan 09, I'll get one more OW at a quarry locally before then so I'm scheduling pool time at the local DS just so I can hover & breath UW until it's second nature for me.

I had a similar problem with my weight belt sliding down. I had to put it on very tight and then readjust it after it got wet. I'm not saying this is your problem but my problem with the belt is that I have too much gut and not enough butt.

Ha ha, Definately share the TMG,NEB issue with you. I thouhg my weight belt was snug at surface, forgot the Wetsuit compresses at depth and it was just enough for it to slip under the weight (30lbs) it carried.

Now I just need to get used to the initial water around the nose shock when I go under. Wait until I'm down at least 5 ft then clear mask and it stays dry okay.

Happy Bubbles on your continuing adventures.....

Glad to see you were able to work through your problems and had fun. Welcome to the board and hope to see you sometime at the quarry. I'm there if I can't be on Lake Michigan.

Congratulations on your certification and especially in over-coming the "OMG I'm GONNA DIE" feeling! Being a noob myself I can relate. My youngest son just got certfied a month ago and I shared with him my mantra ... "I'm breathing, I'm okay, I'm breathing, I'm okay." I keep telling myself that when ever anything happens that I feel out of control. I know it helps me. Not sure about others, or how well I would adjust that if I was out of air. Guess then I'd just go with the "I'm okay, I'm okay, I'm okay" while I figured out the next step. Currently my plan of attack is just to avoid that particular situation! Anyway, with the weather we're pretty much done for local dives here, but next Spring, summer, there are many of us who dive Haigh Quarry in Kankakee. Not sure how close you are, but if that's a workable distance, pay attention to the scuba board, or just PM me and we'll let you know when someone's going. I've found the people on the board, and at Haigh, are great people to dive with. They take you where you're at and teach you a lot just by modeling and if you ask for it, friendly advice.

Kypher;
Welcome to diving, and welcome to scubaboard. Now the task is to get out and dive some more. I know the season is coming to a close here in NW burbs of chi-town, but there are a few weekends left down at Haigh. Otherwise you'll have to wait till next year, (a common refrain for Cubs fan's). There are local club's also that can keep your interest in diving alive during hibernation. Chicago scuba meetup is one of them. Monthly meeting's, and frequent dive get-togethers during the season. My wife and I have meet many new dive friends through them.
DEFINITELY get your girls involved. great way to spend family time, strengthen your father/daughter relationship. It's also something for them to talk about in school, as well as getting them involved in ecology, science, physiology, etc.:D:D

I'm going to be back at Haigh Quarry on Nov 8th. It will be my last OW before the Philippines trip in Jan.

My primary Dive Buddy is a DM Canidate who has been diving for about 6 years.

DEFINITELY get your girls involved. great way to spend family time, strengthen your father/daughter relationship. It's also something for them to talk about in school, as well as getting them involved in ecology, science, physiology, etc.:D:D

Ironically I thought this might be a hobby that I would kep to myself. As a single parent for the last 10 years I've shared every hobby with my daughters.

It was Art at Deep Sea Diving in Crystal Lake who suggested I get the daughters wet when I tried on my gear for the first time.

We're going to get them back to his pool in the next few week to see if they'll do to depth (10ft). If they will then I'll schedule them for classes after I return from my trip.

I doubt they'll dive as much as I plan to but it would be nice to dive with them a few times each season.

WElcome to the fun!! Congrats on your cert and keep practicing! You will get alot more comfortable as you dive more and your skill will continue to get better.

Have a great trip and we will see you at Haigh and on the boards :wink:

Congrats again!!!

I'm going to be back at Haigh Quarry on Nov 8th. It will be my last OW before the Philippines trip in Jan.

My primary Dive Buddy is a DM Canidate who has been diving for about 6 years.

PHILIPPINES?!?!?!
Boy did you come to the right place!
I learned to dive in Boracay in the Philippines 2002. My wife took her lessons locally, and her OW dives in Puerto Galera 2005. We were in Cebu and Bohol 2008 Feb.
Lots of great diving!!! :D:D:D
Where are you going? I've not been everywhere in the Philippines, but there's always nex time. Every time I go, I hear of another place to go to. I wish I won the Lotto, I'd spend half the year in the Philippines every year rather than a few weeks every three years. If you need info, PM me or go to the Philippine Paradise Diver sub forum in scubaboard and post. You could end up with a dive buddy who could show you areas that the average tourist doesn't see. 7,000 + Islands if each had only one dive site...?
Not enough time!!
You can't go wrong diving in the Philippines.
WARNING: DIVING IN THE PHILIPPINES IS THE MOST ADDICTIVE FORM OF DIVING.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom