Hi ,i want to try scuba diving pls help!...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rovic

Registered
Reaction score
hello!,,i'm totally new to scuba, i've been thinking of scuba diving since the last five years,,,i'm really skeptical in getting into diving because of safety reasons, my question is,... is diving dangerous??...the reason i asked this is because i've heard about decompression issue(???,i'm not sure if i spell it right tho,,,i heard stories about divers being paralyzed because of too much underwater pressure. i mean if i enter this hobby and eventually be the cause of my death,i'd rather not,,,BUT i really want to try it,,money is not an issue for me,,i want to buy the fullface diving mask(because i don't want to stress my jaw),i don't care how much is it,,i want to buy every gadget that will make me extra safe under the water. all i really want to make sure is the safety-ness of this hobby....pls help and enlighten my mind.

ps: can anyone give me an idea on how much a full set of diving gear would cost? i mean tank/regulator /suit etc...medium to high quality....thanks guys!

Rovic, like many active, outdoor activities, scuba has risks. One of the reasons you take training to do it is to learn to evaluate and manage those risks. An open water class will educate you about decompression (which is easily managed safely by conservative diving practices and good diving skills) and gas embolism (which is a risk in cases of panic or complete loss of control underwater). If you read the majority of stories of people experiencing serious decompression-related injuries, you will find almost all of them made serious errors which departed from the procedures in which they were trained.

As you can imagine, underwater is not an environment where people survive well without equipment . . . but millions of dives a year are done around the world, and almost all of them are uneventful.

You don't need "every gadget" to be a safe diver, and I suspect you may well learn that you don't need a full face mask, either. What you need to be a safe diver is reasonable quality equipment which YOU understand and can comfortably and efficiently use, an understanding of basic diving principles, some solid basic skills, and some good judgment.

Dive gear can cost whatever you are willing to spend on it, and I will warn you that shops LOVE to see the "Cost doesn't matter, I want the best" kind of customer coming. They'll sell you expensive, but expensive in this sport isn't necessarily best -- or even better! Browse through the "new divers" subforum -- you'll find any number of threads talking about the typical cost for a full set of dive equipment, which will vary according to what kind of diving you intend to do (cold water diving tends to be more expensive, because the exposure protection costs more and you have to buy more lead).

Never dived?? wants to buy a FFM ,due to jaw fatigue:confused:

IMO some mod needs to do some checking :D

NO ONE on this planet will do with ANY CAPITALS :shakehead:

Must be a TROLL.

Oops mod fell for it

I could be wrong, but don't think so.

Thanks Lyn ! i've learned a lot from your explanation, now i have a good orientation of this hobby...and the "gas embolism" i didn't know there was another potential danger down there aside from decompression.,thanks for explaining...i'm seriously thinking of getting into this sport and your'e right i need to attend a diving class to attain knowledge and confidence to stay alive underwater..
i watched some videos in youtube about the full face mask, and i'm definite,i really like it over a conventional regulator(??,dunno how to call it). 300bar is right,the jaw won't fatigue on the full face mask.(i wear dental braces btw) ,,,plus on the conventional one, since the nose is exposed to water, i might mistakenly breath through my nose and ingest or intubate water to my lungs.,,
i guess in the full face mask,i can really enjoy the under water sceneries more, since i won't bother thinking which way to breath(nose or mouse)...i still want to breath through my nose even under water.

thanks to all your replies...

Look on Groupon or Living Social or a similar site. There are often deals to do a "Try Dive" or "Discover SCUBA" at a local shop. Often these are free or relatively inexpensive since the shop wants to get you hooked in order to sell you lessons and gear. With these programs you get some training and get in the pool with an instructor. This will give you a chance to see if you might like it or feel safe.

Driving is full of rules. If you follow all of them, you will survive and enjoy.
Diving is full of rules. If you follow all of them, you will survive and enjoy.

Look, just removing an "r" to the first word, the sentence is the same.

its all true. you may die...

Life is such a dangerous thing that no one suvives.

Diving is great! Look into to more and take a discover scuba before buying any equipment. I wouldn't worry so much about the "which way to breath" issue; I am a nose breather all the way, but since the first time I put my regulator in my mouth, I didn't have any issue. But if a full face mask is what you really want - try one out before buying. Like the previous comments state, follow the rules/safty guidlines and you will enjoy many wonderful years with this awsome sport.

Back
Top Bottom