New Diver in VA - headed to Kona for a while

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Barrod

Contributor
Reaction score
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi everyone,

I'm from the eastern shore of MD and living in Northern VA. I've been swimming like a fish on the Chesapeake my whole life and just became financially able to pursue diving and certification. It's always been my dream to do this and I can't be more excited about it.

I got set up with fins/mask/snorkel/booties - and I just purchased an Oceanic OC1 dive computer (w/titanium band in blue) :crafty:

The Dive Shop in Fairfax VA is doing my P.A.D.I. open water diver course - I'm all finished except for the checkouts - which I'll do on the last weekend in April at a quarry or something in Haymarket, VA. They say they'll also get me NITROX certified during the checkouts.

My company is sending me on a 4 day "business trip" to the Kohala coast and I made it into a 2 week thing! I'll be 2 nights at Waikiki in the Hiltons rainbow tower before heading to Kona on the 14th of May.

I don't know how many dives I'll get in but I'm hopeful I can log more than 10 dives while I'm there.

Thanks for having a large community site to visit and for having me ------ :D

Barrod

Welcome to the site and to diving! Prepare yourself for the addiction :)

When in Kona you should drive to two "must" places....Go to a place known as "The Sanctuary" (Honaunau) for a fairly easy solo shore dive (park in the church's parking lot and leave a couple bucks in donation box--do it early or place will be filled up), and on your way there stop in at a dive deli known as "The Coffee Shack" for the BEST Macadamia nut pie (like pecan pie, but much more decadent).

Back
Top Bottom