Snorkling in So. Cali

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SoCal is a pretty big place, could you be a little more specific??? Why snorkling???

richinsoca:
Orange County area and I want to take my kids out.

I don't know much about OC yet but Reef Point has some shalow areas.

Also I was just snorkeling in Catalina at Two Harbors. Isthmus reef is very shallow at it's west end. (right by the big sign that reads "reef") 8 to 10 feet but strong current. The side of the harbor over by the Scripts peir is excelent, It's a kelp forest with very shalow depth, and little surge. It is also a marine reserve. Enter at the campground beach and swim along the base of the bluffs. In Avaon the two reserves there are good but deeper. Why snorkel? I just happened to be over there and didn't have my scuba gear with me

Welcome Aboard!!!

It's addictive, but who cares?!?!?

Good friends and good info. What could be better???

P.S. - If you have not already done so, please fill out your profile.

Laguna Beach is a good bet. Was there this weekend snorkeling with my honey. We were at Crescent Bay, but I've heard that Shaw's Cove (next door to Crescent) is also good. I'm sure there are many more good sites all along Laguna. Also, if you want to take a trip to Catalina, we're going snorkeling this weekend at Lover's Cove. Supposed to be very good. It's where the glass bottom boats go.

Crescent Bay in Laguna Beach. To the west (right as you face the ocean) there is a large reef area in 6-12 feet of water with lots there. Be mindful of the waves and stay out of the area if the surf is big. The bottom is covered in mussels and there will be small fish in the area. There is also good reef structure in deeper depths you can snorkel over if the visibility is good.

Rocky Point, just to the right (west) of Main Beach offers lots of good reef structure in shallow water. 30 yards out and you are till in 5-10 feet of water with lots of fish if the visibility is good.

Divers Cove offers good reef structure you can snorkel over. Water depth can vary from very shallow to 20 feet or so. Lots of wash rocks here so we aware of what is around you do you don’t get pushed up onto a rock by a passing wave or swell.

There are several other good locations around Laguan Beach. Almost any beach divers go to (except Cleo) would do for snorkling in the shallow areas near shore the reefs.
That should get you started until you get good and hooked and start SCUBA.

Welcome to ScubaBoard!

I've got to go with Pasley's and ChrisA's recommendations here. Hopefully, it will peak your (and your kid's) interest and lead you to a future in SCUBA. It's nice being able to breathe underwater! :wink:

Be safe!

Christian

Howdy!

We're more involved with Scuba here, but I hope you find the info you're looking for.

don

Laguna Beach is about your only bet in OC. I wouldn't try anywhere else.

Back
Top Bottom