Snorkling at Occidental Cozumel vs Allegro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sportyluis

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi,

I know the title looks weird considering this is a dive forum but I'm hoping to travel to Cozumel in February with my family. The in-laws are travelling with us and really like snorkeling from the beach while my wife and I enjoy diving. We are trying to decide between the Allegro and Occidental, however my wife read that the Occidental has better shore snorkling than Allegro. Does anyone have any experience at either?

Thanks!

both have sandy white beaches
poor snorkeling at both

I forget which one I was at. Navy blue umbrellas.

It had a wooden pier going out. Clear water and some fish. I had a blast.

Ya'll might call that crappy snorkeling though.

I forget which one I was at. Navy blue umbrellas.

It had a wooden pier going out. Clear water and some fish. I had a blast.

Ya'll might call that crappy snorkeling though.
You you can snorkel in a pool—or any sandy beach there. You will have the same result, either choice. Cozumel has plenty of better options, especially up north.

Dave Dillehay

Naw, it seriously had some really cool fish. Not a ton, just a few.

So people with ADD would have hated it. But I've got no problem with a few cool fish and a pier.

You you can snorkel in a pool—or any sandy beach there. You will have the same result, either choice. Cozumel has plenty of better options, especially up north.

Dave Dillehay
Yes. Any place that has a sandy beach sloping gently to the water will likely have the same thing going on underwater.

Playa Corona is not too far north from the resorts and it has some coral formations in shallow water accessible from shore. There are also snorkel trips you can take, and there are plenty of good snorkeling reefs a short boat ride from the southern resorts.

Snorkeling at the Grand was actually not that bad but my visit was almost 14 years ago. There was considerable rubble in the roped off area to draw a reasonable mix of marine life. There was a large school of fish which seemed to call the area home along with a bit of an aggressive Barracuda that finally attacked my camera without harming me or it as well as a big green morey living in the rubble.

Attachments

• IMG_0196.jpg
    IMG_0196.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0218.jpg
    IMG_0218.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0226.jpg
    IMG_0226.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0210.jpg
    IMG_0210.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0212.jpg
    IMG_0212.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 28
Snorkeling at the Grand was actually not that bad but my visit was almost 14 years ago. There was considerable rubble in the roped off area to draw a reasonable mix of marine life. There was a large school of fish which seemed to call the area home along with a bit of an aggressive Barracuda that finally attacked my camera without harming me or it as well as a big green morey living in the rubble.
The poster might want to consider today's post of snorkeling at the Villa Aldora by Mark Heibert. Maybe the best in the Caribbean! Not a promotional effort by me, but it is no surprise.

Dave Dillehay

My wife snorkeled a bit when we were at the Occidental in December (my gear was all in lock-up at the dive-shop) and enjoyed it for the hour or so she was in the water. Certainly nothing like Grand Cayman or Kona.

We had a miserable experience with Corporate and Management aspects of the Occidental during this stay, so will be forever shunning the Barcelo (Occidental and Allegro) properties in the future.

I would consider the Westin up north for a mix of both beach and good snorkeling. It's not flat sandy beach you walk for miles, but sand and some rock you can walk & explore, carrying your sandals for the rocky part.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom