Hi folks. First post.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Crowell

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm new to the boards here (just heard about them yesterday), and thought I'd register and say hello.

"Hello."

There, now that that's out of the way, I have a question for some of you more internet-savvy folks out there.

I'm in the market for a new set of dive gear and I've been looking at some nice internet sites like joediveramerica.com and diversdiscount.com, divebooty, etc.

I'm also a big proponent of safety and reliability - especially with my dive gear, and I do tons of research into what I like and brand names like Mares, Dacor, ScubaPro, etc, and these internet companies stock and sell those brands.

The local shop-owners (understandably) are VERY against buying anything on the internet - especially things like regulators, because there's no guarantees of what you're getting and no go-to guy if it's not right. But there's also the factor that the local shop owner has bills (and floorspace rent) to pay and a family to feed too, and they just can't compete with major internet distributors with no physical store-front.

Are these sites like joediveramerca.com safe to buy from online, or should I not risk it and just buy local from store owners? What are some other pros and cons I haven't touched on? I know most local shops will offer free inspections on anything you buy from them - forever, and the assurance that it will be right before you ever go in the water with it.

I'm just waffling here because those internet prices look really good.

Wecome to SB, Crowell. Good questions.

If it requires regular maintenance, I'll buy from a brick-and-mortar store that's capable of that. I'll buy lights and other accessories online. But I'm an old-fashioned guy (well, old at least).

There's been lots of threads on this subject, and on the reputations of several of the online business. I'd suggest you search on their names, especially in the Equipment forums.

See you in the threads,
Bryan

Welcome to ScubaBoard! :happywave

I like to support my local dive shop because they also help me out when I need anything. If I have a piece of equipment that needs some unexpected service and that service won't have it ready by the time I need to go diving, then they will probably just lend me a piece of gear, since I'm a good customer. I haven't had this happen to me, but have seen it at my LDS with others. I recently saw this with a dive computer that needed servicing. The owner just went in the back and got a computer and said, "Here, use mine while we get your's fixed." It was even the same model in this case.

Leisure Pro, DiveBooty, etc. won't do that for you.

Dive safe!

Christian

P.S. Due to the high volume of new posts in the Introductions and Greets forum, it's not always possible to keep up with all the new posts here. So, please help me out and send me a PM if you post anything you want me to read or repsond to in this forum.
:palmtree: :sunny

Thank you so much for joining SCUBABOARD!!!
This is an awesome place to be and we are so excited to meet you:07: !
I hope you have a wonderful experience on here!:D

You have now joined an elite group!! The Scubaboard is where to the best come to discuss, argue, debate, hate, love, and support each other in the GREATEST SPORT known to mankind.

Ask away and someone here will have an answer or suggestion for you! Nothing is too stupid to ask. Feel to free to ask anything about what you need to know!!

HAVE A WONDERFUL DAY!!!!!!!:10:

:sunny Hi there! My name is Matt. Welcome to Scuba Board! I came here looking for help with my diving dream. I’ve met a lot of nice divers and many helpful divers too. I think you will get the information you need from SB. I look forward to reading more of your posts about your diving adventures. If you’d like to chat, please PM me.
I am looking forward to seeing you some more around the boards!

-Matt- :chicken:

Howdy!

I just want to join the others in welcoming you to SB. Hope to get to know you around the forums.

Yeah, I'll buy my BC & Reg locally from the shop that will service it. I know my Tech personally, his wife and both kids. But I will dicker price. If I pay cash, I expect at least 3% off; often get more off. But I want the local shop to survive, or they won't support local scuba and dive trips.

It's gonna' be a little quite around here for the next week, as our Florida friends prepare for a big storm, :sofa: endure it, then get their electricty going again. Bear with us. I'm leaving tonight to dive Canadian wrecks.

Completing your Profile and seperately - keeping your Dive Info up to date helps in future diving instructions. PM me if I can help you learn your way around.

don
:pirate:

Hi there! My name is Kayla, and I have been diving for over two years now. I think that you will learn a lot from ScubaBoard, and hopefully you will be able to post about some of your own experiences as well! If you have any questions, please PM me! Otherwise, I hope to get to know you better around the boards!

Safe diving!
Kayla :dazzler1:

My local dive shop traded masks when the new ones I got from them leaked. They just did not fit my face. They just took the ones that did not work and gave me a new one to try.
That would never happen with a web purchase.
Welcome to the "board"

Thanks all for the replies and information. My fiance` and I are going out from Destin, FL Saturday to have a look around and get a logged dive or two registered before taking a Cruise to the Caribbean in November. I was originally certified back in the late 90s for my job at the time, but I haven't dove in a while so we're doing a skills update before we head out just to be safe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom