Flights, Aruba to Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AZ_Zoner

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
We are planning another trip to Bonaire this winter. We Love Bonaire but the flights back and forth from Aruba to Bonaire have never been very pleasant. So I'm trying to do a little more research on my options and have a few questions. Has anything changed? Is there some incredible airline now that flies on time? Or is it the same old story?

Also looking at the option of flying into Aruba and staying overnight and catching an early flight over in the morning. Does anyone have a nice layover hotel they could recommend? Maybe one with transfers that is close to the airport?

Is there any way to catch a flight on one airline to Curacaos and then onto Bonaire on another. I saw Divi Divi Air just flies from Curacao to Bonaire. Any option like that?

Our flight gets into Aruba around 4:30pm. I you have any idea or suggestion we'd sure like to hear them.

thanks

Craig

You can fly direct to Bonaire from Houston or Atlanta.

Is there any way to catch a flight on one airline to Curacaos and then onto Bonaire on another. I saw Divi Divi Air just flies from Curacao to Bonaire. Any option like that?

That's exactly how I did it... in my case, DFW to Miami on American, Miami to Curacao on American, and Insel-Air from Curacao to Bonaire.

That biggest problems were timing of flights. Often they don't mesh very well.

Jim

My tickets are to Aruba. Using mileage so stuck with Aruba. If they weren't 1st class and free I would change airlines.

but still up for one airlines to curacou and than something else to Bonaire if it's possible.

i think an overnight stay in Aruba might be out best bet.

thanks

cb

Last edited:
Just be aware, that Insel-air requires you to check in 2 hours early if you are checking a bag (it's in the fine print of their boarding pass). After a call to them, they would not budge so we had to reschedule our flights to Curacao to allow for the extra time. We ended up getting there something like 5 hours early just so we could make the 2 hour window. Since you're coming from the states, you also need some extra time to get through customs/immigration in Curacao.

Jim

i would avoid Insel like the plague, highly unreliable and email or phone customer service is nonexistant
you have to go to the airport if you want to talk to someone
we had our connecting flight from Curacao to Bonair with Insel, they spammed me for two months with reminders of our flight, yet when we got to Curacao and checked in we found out from the boarding passes that it was delayed 2 hours, not a single word from the counter person when we checked in, the 2 hours turned into 4, all this time no word from anyone, we tried in vain to find a rep but had no luck
eventually someone showed up and told us the plane was sent to Aruba and it will arrive "soon!!!!!"
when we got to the resort we found an email from Insel advising us of the flight delay, which came about the time we arrived in Curacao
on the way home was a whole new load of FAIL, we almost missed our connection because it took them almost an hour to unload 20 suitcases
a real nightmare

I don't think there's another option. DAE went bankrupt and Tiara Air's website - http://www.tiara-air.com/ is down now also. Afaik there weren't any other options.
Infobonaire - Info Bonaire - Airline Information and Connections - usually seems to be current:
Another routing option is to fly on any of a number of major U.S. and South American carriers to Aruba and then take Insel Air (with a stop in Curacao) from there to Bonaire.

Insel Air's offices can be reached in Curaçao at phone: +599-9-733-1521 or +599-9-733-1522, or at the airport at +599-9-868-4400 or 868-6600. They fly several times daily to Bonaire from both Curaçao and Aruba.

OP--be careful, some of those little airlines may be belly up when you get there & try to finish your flight into Bonaire(EVEN THOUGH you've purchased tickets ALREADY)..........Our group(23 in all) had MAJOR problems once we landed on Curacao & trying to finish the travel into Bonaire---last August......

EDIT..:....just a FYI post............good luck

You can fly direct to Bonaire from Houston or Atlanta.

Delta's nonstop from Atlanta is over $900. Now, connecting from another city THROUGH Atlanta is a different story. By driving from my home in Atlanta to Birmingham, AL, and taking Delta to Bonaire with a connection in Atlanta, I save hundreds of dollars. I think the tix we purchased last month were $685 for BHM-ATL-BON r/t. It sucks to live in Delta's hub because they charge us for the "privilege."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom