Dive Rite HID Special....Is this a good deal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dirthead

Contributor
Reaction score
I am looking to buy my first cannister light. The Salvo 10W HID 4.6ah NiMH really caught my eye. I have never heard a bad word about the salvo lights so I was going to go with that one until I saw this special at Northeast Scuba Supply. Here is a link to the listing.

http://www.northeastscubasupply.com/closeouts.html

It is a Dive Rite 10W 4.6ah NiMH can light with the MR11 head. Comes with the charger, Goodman handle, and a carrying case. I don't do any cave diving or wreck diving, and really just want a good light and have a little extra cash right now so thought I would get an entry level cannister light for night dives and such. I guess my question is this: Does this Dive Rite compare to the Salvo? Seems like the Salvo is $725, so at $499 this is a heck of a deal if the light is comparable in quality/performance.

dirthead:
I am looking to buy my first cannister light. The Salvo 10W HID 4.6ah NiMH really caught my eye. I have never heard a bad word about the salvo lights so I was going to go with that one until I saw this special at Northeast Scuba Supply. Here is a link to the listing.

http://www.northeastscubasupply.com/closeouts.html

It is a Dive Rite 10W 4.6ah NiMH can light with the MR11 head. Comes with the charger, Goodman handle, and a carrying case. I don't do any cave diving or wreck diving, and really just want a good light and have a little extra cash right now so thought I would get an entry level cannister light for night dives and such. I guess my question is this: Does this Dive Rite compare to the Salvo? Seems like the Salvo is $725, so at $499 this is a heck of a deal if the light is comparable in quality/performance.
My opinion is that the Dive-Rite is a good deal.
Rick

Both are good light , but i would lean towards Salvo. Main question you have to ask yourself before you buy is , is the light head enough for what your doing , fixed or focusable and burn time.

Sure do like mine. I bought the 10W focusable. Have used it on about 25 dives now and am completely satisfied.

In addition I over the years I have found Dive Rite products and customer service to be excellent.

Another example of DiveRite's product confidence and customer orientation. When I went through the same process(buying a first cannister light) I wanted to use the same light underwater and on the surface as a backup light for my snowmobile. I communicated with all the manufacturers. Only one would extend their warranty to that use: DiveRite. Several said it should work. Some said it wouldn't. But only one was willing to put their money where their mouth was.

Lots of folks can talk or post on the internet. But in my book when the money hits the counter, DiveRite scores.

ArcticDiver:
in my book when the money hits the counter, DiveRite scores.
That has been my experience as well. FWIW I have a 10W Dive-Rite light and have been diving it for four years.
Rick

I have owned a dive rite 10w MR11 slimline for 2 years now. In that time I have replaced 5 HID bulbs at my cost of over $100ea, they replaced the grey cable, charged me for it then the orange one was recalled and I paid labour charges for the replacement. The company admits there is an inherent problem with the housing that causes bulbs to break and they are working on it. My light sits here with a broken bulb that I have to wait until they release the new head before I waste another $100+
I will revert back to my old nite rider that I have had for 5 years, the only time it flooded the company replaced the head, no charge 4 years after I bought it.
I am done with dive rite. I own a lot of dive rite gear but I will look elsewhere for any further purchases.

I purchased the DR 10w 4.5a w/ MR11 head several months ago when they had them on special for 499.00. Great light and performs well. Have had it several times in the 170fsw range for technical dives and have not had any problems at all. For the money, great value.

I have the DiveRite 10W,focussable.Like it a lot overall. The reflector is kind of plasticky though and its annoying having to set the focus on every dive after having the light head in its protective coozie.

There have been a lot of problems with the red cords (wires break internally) make sure you get one with the new type (black??)cord

Thanks for all the replies. I decided to get a Salvo 4.5ah/10W with Focusable lighthead. Ordered it from double80's here on SB, or www.laughingblenny.com. Should have it in a couple of days.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom