Salvo 21w HID or MetalSub 24w HID?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Randy8876

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm considering buying a new light. Both of these are priced around $1200. I'm wondering how valuable the focusable light is? What about the concerns over Li-Ion rechargable batteries needing to be replaced sooner than NiMH batteries? Does anyone have experience with both of these models?

The Salvo:
21 Watt HID is Focusable with 1500 lumen output at 6500 kelvin
Li-Ion Battery providing 4.5 hours of burntime
2 lbs. (900 g.) negative
Canister Style Battery

The MetalSub HID125
24 Watt HID Non-focusable with ~1500 lumen output at 6000 kelvin
NiMH Battery providing 4.5 hours of burntime
3.528 lbs. (2.2kg) negative
Rectangle tank mounted battery

The other model I saw that I haven't heard much about is the Green Force HID100. I know it's a 21w HID and it has a 3 hour battery. But I don't know much more about it.

I want to make sure I really think through this decision since the light is so pricey. Thanks for any help offered.

I'm sure you will get a flood of posts supporting the Salvo lights. They are proven, dependable and a come with a 1 year warrantee on the light, including the bulb.

If you have any questions, feel free to contact us anytime. Our number is located on the website.

Randy8876:
I'm considering buying a new light. Both of these are priced around $1200. I'm wondering how valuable the focusable light is? What about the concerns over Li-Ion rechargable batteries needing to be replaced sooner than NiMH batteries? Does anyone have experience with both of these models?

The Salvo:
2 lbs. (900 g.) negative
Canister Style Battery

The MetalSub HID125

The other model I saw that I haven't heard much about is the Green Force HID100. I know it's a 21w HID and it has a 3 hour battery. But I don't know much more about it.

I want to make sure I really think through this decision since the light is so pricey. Thanks for any help offered.

To my knowledge Salvo, MetalSub and Greenforce are pretty good lamps. I heard Greenforce is very resistant. I personally have the Salvo 21/9 Ni and I must say it is a great lamp. Everyone who goes diving with me are swearing for one. The light is great and it is very resistant.

Hope it helps.

My only comment would be that Li-Ion will degrade over time regardless of the number of discharge cycles you put them through. This is in addition to the degradation from charge/discharge cycles.

So if you plan on using the light on less than 100 dives a year my preference would be to get the NiMH battery.

They are both fine lights from what I can determine (talking with divers who own them).

I find the fixed focus to be sufficient for my needs, (but then again with the MR16 halogen on my light, it's cheap and easy to change over).

My own light is somewhat less expensive (about 15% of the lights you're looking at), although the output is less (about 900 lumens with a 50 Watt bulb). http://groups.msn.com/Divelight/canisterlightezlighthead.msnw

Good luck with picking the right one

I've toyed with the Salvo, have not had a MetalSub light in my hands (but Im not much on the tank mount), and dive a GreenForce most of the time.

The Greenforce will take a beating. Just ask Curt Bowen! :wink: The Salvo is also a good light, and I wouldn't mind having one of those. I wish we were a dealer for them. I haven't seen to many MetalSubs around, but they seem to have a following in Europe.

Randy8876:

The Salvo:
2 lbs. (900 g.) negative
Canister Style Battery

The MetalSub HID125

Hi Randy8876,

You would be very happy with our FIII compact 21 watt HID system. It will provide you with 3.5 hours burn on NiMH. We have a lot of our details on our website, www.mantaindustries.com. The color temp is 5,500K with a 24 degree beam and 2 lbs 9 oz negative with a bulb life of 2000 hours. This 21 watt is impact resistant, just ask Curt Bowen :D The retail is around the $1,200.00 range. The snap shot of the advantages are listed to you left.

If you have any questions, let me know or PM me.

Thanks - Greg

From the info I got, Li battery has a better self-discharge rate (non-correctable) than the Ni based battery (i.e. NiMH has a higher self-discharge rate):
Please refer to, here e.g. http://www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-32.htm

Please also search around for reference you will also find this:
Number of cycles before reaching 80% capacity (i.e. 100% capacity -> 80% capacity)
700 Li-ion
400 NiMH
1500 NiCd

In terms of color temperature, I like color temp close to white light, 5500 K.

I have the 21/9 focusable head Salvo and LOVE it. Very durable, very bright and the replacement bulbs are 'reasonable'. Being able to focus the head is nice although I usually keep mine screwed down into a tight beam. Salvo also has great customer service, just be sure to call them though... email response is slow and not every question gets answered...

Another vote for the Salvo light. I haven't tried the others, but I love my 21W Salvo. Great customer service.

mstudley:
I have the 21/9 focusable head Salvo and LOVE it. Very durable, very bright and the replacement bulbs are 'reasonable'. Being able to focus the head is nice although I usually keep mine screwed down into a tight beam. Salvo also has great customer service, just be sure to call them though... email response is slow and not every question gets answered...

If you didn't have all your questions answered.... Please let me know.

Regards,

Dwain
Salvo

Back
Top Bottom