Backup light review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jtivat

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Many have asked about some of the lights I own and how they compare, so here it is. The players are OMS Vega, Photon Torpedo LED, Green Force Diamond and the UK Mini Q40 eLed. As far as over all output, I would say the OMS is the brightest with the PT a very close second, then the UK and last the GF. But all are very respectable regarding total output. The PT has the tightest and brightest beam followed closely by the OMS, then the UK and in last the GF.

The PT uses 3 C cells, and has a Delrin body with a lexon rubber coated head (same as UK SL6 or SL4), double o-ring seals, a 3watt emitter (same as UK SL4 eLed) and uses a smooth reflector. Not sure of the burn time. The PT is the largest light out of the four, but feels very good in the hand and is easy to turn on with dry gloves. It also stays off when you want it to. Some complain it is too large to wear on the harness; which I could see if you are a short person, but I am 6’6”. I think it fits very nice and I don’t even know it’s there. Over all this is an awesome backup light with a high quality build that is well worth the $138.80 at http://www.cnsales.net/photontorpedopage.htm .

The OMS Vega uses two 123 3 volt lithium cells; a lot of people see as bad b/c they are pricey but I love them in a backup light b/c they have a great shelf life, are small, light and can be found for $1 each. The Vega has an aluminum body and head. It is twist to turn on and has double o-ring seals. It uses a 3 watt emitter with a stippled reflector for a very smooth beam. However it sacrifices a bit of throw. The runtime claimed is 3 hours and is rated at 80 lumens, which I would say is on the high side. OMS states a depth rating of 330’. The Vega is built like a tank and easy to use with dry gloves. It is a bit too small for my taste (with dry gloves) which makes it hard to mount on the harness but fits in just about any pocket. I like this light a lot, the only down side is that it needs an extra twist to make sure it stays off but can be done easily without coming close to the o-rings. The list on this light is $93 and I would say if you can live with the small size it’s a great deal.

The GF also uses two 123’s. The body is Delrin and the head aluminum with two large o-rings for grip. It also uses a 3 watt emitter but utilizes optics to get the light out of the front costing in lumens and makes a wider beam with less throw. It is triple o-ring sealed which might be a bit over kill but I would bet no one has a problem with floods. I have seen a claimed runtime of 2 hours and 3 hours, not sure which is right. I have not seen a lumens rating or depth rating but don’t think depth will be a problem with this light. The output is good just not a very tight beam. This light is very well made and lives on the right side of my harness. The only real down side is that you sometimes need too screw the head on twice to get the batteries to seat right, but once that is done I have never had a problem. This is the most expensive backup of the four at $148 (TDL’s price) but I think I paid $115ish during a sale and think it was worth the money.

The UK Q40 eLed uses four AA cells and uses an ABS and polycarbonate plastic construction (not sure what that means but the stuff is tough) on the body with a rubber coated lexon head. UK claims it uses a 2 watt emitter and has a double optic system which gives a some what square beam that is pretty wide. The output claims 40 lumens with a 4-5 hour burn time. The Q40 eLed is a nice light for the price ($39) but I would not put my life on the line with it. There is no rear attachment point and it only uses one o-ring. I consider it a great backup light for a warm water night dive but not the inside a Wreck in Lake Michigan at 160’.

The two pictures below give you an idea of size by comparing other well known lights. The lights in the pictures are left to right bottom UK SL6, UK Mini Q40 eLed, UK Q40, OMS Vega, Green Force Diamond, Photon Torpedo, Sartek 10watt HID and Dive Rite 10watt Hand Held HID. The top two left to right are the UK L2 (which is my favorite open water backup light) and the new OMS head lamp (which is a very nice light with a ****ty switch).

http://photo.ringo.com/204/204733002RL915099536.jpg

http://photo.ringo.com/204/204732984RL971451944.jpg

jtivat:
Many have asked about some of the lights I own and how they compare, so here it is. The players are OMS Vega, Photon Torpedo LED, Green Force Diamond and the UK Mini Q40 eLed. As far as over all output, I would say the OMS is the brightest with the PT a very close second, then the UK and last the GF. But all are very respectable regarding total output. The PT has the tightest and brightest beam followed closely by the OMS, then the UK and in last the GF.

The PT uses 3 C cells, and has a Delrin body with a lexon rubber coated head (same as UK SL6 or SL4), double o-ring seals, a 3watt emitter (same as UK SL4 eLed) and uses a smooth reflector. Not sure of the burn time. The PT is the largest light out of the four, but feels very good in the hand and is easy to turn on with dry gloves. It also stays off when you want it to. Some complain it is too large to wear on the harness; which I could see if you are a short person, but I am 6’6”. I think it fits very nice and I don’t even know it’s there. Over all this is an awesome backup light with a high quality build that is well worth the $138.80 at http://www.cnsales.net/photontorpedopage.htm .

The OMS Vega uses two 123 3 volt lithium cells; a lot of people see as bad b/c they are pricey but I love them in a backup light b/c they have a great shelf life, are small, light and can be found for $1 each. The Vega has an aluminum body and head. It is twist to turn on and has double o-ring seals. It uses a 3 watt emitter with a stippled reflector for a very smooth beam. However it sacrifices a bit of throw. The runtime claimed is 3 hours and is rated at 80 lumens, which I would say is on the high side. OMS states a depth rating of 330’. The Vega is built like a tank and easy to use with dry gloves. It is a bit too small for my taste (with dry gloves) which makes it hard to mount on the harness but fits in just about any pocket. I like this light a lot, the only down side is that it needs an extra twist to make sure it stays off but can be done easily without coming close to the o-rings. The list on this light is $93 and I would say if you can live with the small size it’s a great deal.

The GF also uses two 123’s. The body is Delrin and the head aluminum with two large o-rings for grip. It also uses a 3 watt emitter but utilizes optics to get the light out of the front costing in lumens and makes a wider beam with less throw. It is triple o-ring sealed which might be a bit over kill but I would bet no one has a problem with floods. I have seen a claimed runtime of 2 hours and 3 hours, not sure which is right. I have not seen a lumens rating or depth rating but don’t think depth will be a problem with this light. The output is good just not a very tight beam. This light is very well made and lives on the right side of my harness. The only real down side is that you sometimes need too screw the head on twice to get the batteries to seat right, but once that is done I have never had a problem. This is the most expensive backup of the four at $148 (TDL’s price) but I think I paid $115ish during a sale and think it was worth the money.

The UK Q40 eLed uses four AA cells and uses an ABS and polycarbonate plastic construction (not sure what that means but the stuff is tough) on the body with a rubber coated lexon head. UK claims it uses a 2 watt emitter and has a double optic system which gives a some what square beam that is pretty wide. The output claims 40 lumens with a 4-5 hour burn time. The Q40 eLed is a nice light for the price ($39) but I would not put my life on the line with it. There is no rear attachment point and it only uses one o-ring. I consider it a great backup light for a warm water night dive but not the inside a Wreck in Lake Michigan at 160’.

The two pictures below give you an idea of size by comparing other well known lights. The lights in the pictures are left to right bottom UK SL6, UK Mini Q40 eLed, UK Q40, OMS Vega, Green Force Diamond, Photon Torpedo, Sartek 10watt HID and Dive Rite 10watt Hand Held HID. The top two left to right are the UK L2 (which is my favorite open water backup light) and the new OMS head lamp (which is a very nice light with a ****ty switch).

http://photo.ringo.com/204/204733002RL915099536.jpg

http://photo.ringo.com/204/204732984RL971451944.jpg

Hi Jtivat.

Nice review. I wanted to provide you with some additonal information ton the Green Force Diamond. Our depth rating is 900 feet, if it go to 901 and it fails you get a new one :wink: The burn time is a total of 6 hours, 3 at full strenght and 3 at half power.

Any questions let me know.

Thanks - Greg

................ thanks for your opinion on your collection. :14:

So between the PT and the GF, you choose to carry the CF in spite of the wider beam and shorter throw? Could you explain why? I'm trying to decide between the two myself. :D (I'm big enough at 6'3" to carry the PT no prob, but I do like the smaller size of the GF, but I'm not sure the "inferior" output is worth the tradeoff.)

Oh, and finally, how to the attachment points of the two lights compare? I've held the PT in my hand, and know how nice it is, but I've never seen the GF first-hand.

thanks for the great write-up w/pics. I only wish you included the UK SL6, which you apparently also own. Do you have an opinion on that light?

CompuDude:
So between the PT and the GF, you choose to carry the CF in spite of the wider beam and shorter throw? Could you explain why? I'm trying to decide between the two myself. :D (I'm big enough at 6'3" to carry the PT no prob, but I do like the smaller size of the GF, but I'm not sure the "inferior" output is worth the tradeoff.)

Oh, and finally, how to the attachment points of the two lights compare? I've held the PT in my hand, and know how nice it is, but I've never seen the GF first-hand.

I carry both; the PT is on the left of the harness with the GF on the right. The PT gives me a nice tight beam so in a wreck if the vis was messed up I would go to it. If the vis was better I would go to the GF. The GF is wide enough to be easy to handle with dry gloves IMO and has multiple holes at the rear of the light to attach a bolt snap. The PT just has one hole at the rear both systems work fine to attach a bolt snap. Using a bike tire tube to hold to the harness works for both lights with the GF being a bit easier to get off and back on. If I was only carrying one it would be the PT. The reason I don't carry the Vega yet is I have not come up with a good way to put it on the harness but if you have pocket room it is a great light.

SteveFass:
thanks for the great write-up w/pics. I only wish you included the UK SL6, which you apparently also own. Do you have an opinion on that light?

Yes it is a great light very tight beam but to large IMO for a backup. I have used it as a primary for years on OW dives and love it. Also I do not like single o-rings or a switch in a light when my life could depend on it working again just my opinion.

PS. The SL6 works great on rechargeable batteries.

jtivat:
I carry both; the PT is on the left of the harness with the GF on the right. The PT gives me a nice tight beam so in a wreck if the vis was messed up I would go to it. If the vis was better I would go to the GF. The GF is wide enough to be easy to handle with dry gloves IMO and has multiple holes at the rear of the light to attach a bolt snap. The PT just has one hole at the rear both systems work fine to attach a bolt snap. Using a bike tire tube to hold to the harness works for both lights with the GF being a bit easier to get off and back on. If I was only carrying one it would be the PT. The reason I don't carry the Vega yet is I have not come up with a good way to put it on the harness but if you have pocket room it is a great light.
So if I was to start with only one, you think perhaps the PT is the way to go? I'm not concerned about handling, I'm sure both would be fine for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom