Recommendations for cheap, reliable dive light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jaja

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I am looking for a dive light that is reliable (particularly on/off switch), not too big, and cheap (less than $100). Also a bonus if is rechargeable. Am I looking for the impossible? Would like to hear your recommendations (not adverts from manufacturers though!):)

Let me be the first to answer before the masses chime in with their different views.

My primary use for a light is for night dives, wreck dives and illuminating under reef ledges.

I use several different lights made by Ikelite and they have been extremely dependable over the years.

Check out their website for your style preference.
They even have a rechargable but the price does go up.

Good luck.

---
- FB-Florida Scuba Diver

The OP is looking for reliable lights, these dealextreme and many of these direct from china lights seem to be extremely iffy, either it works or it don't.

The OP is looking for reliable lights, these dealextreme and many of these direct from china lights seem to be extremely iffy, either it works or it don't.

I disagree with you. I have both and they appear to be well made and have not failed yet. The XTAR has double O rings and aluminum body and makes more light with one 18650 cell than a one year old light I have that uses 2 cells, at one third the price. It even has two on-off switches, one provides a continuous power control, rarely seen.

The Pop lite has a single O ring and plastic body, but so do the lights from UK and Ikelite. And most of the UK and Ikelite lights use old versions of LEDs that have not been updated for years.

Adam

Not talking about the lights you recommended specifically, but the ones that seems to be repackaged from some generic mfg in china. They all got the talk of double o-ring, over 1000 lumens and dirt cheap. but the forum is full of discussions of their sudden failure. The strange thing is that the owners are not upset and instead go thru hoops to get it fixed/repaired/working again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom