Recommendations for honeymoon liveaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beegee

Registered
Reaction score
My girlfriend (now fiance) and I plan to take our honeymoon in November 2010. We have done 2 liveaboards together and want to do another one for our honeymoon. One requirement is that the destination also have fun ground activities.

We're looking for a 4-7 day dive, nice ameneties, at under $2500 pp.

We're coming from California. Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.

One requirement is that the destination also have fun ground activities.
During or after the liveaboard week? If during, Aquacat does optional shore excursions during the week. It's about $2300/wk.

Hughes has their Belize trips - Sundancer II - priced at $1895PP ($2000 with fees/taxes) till next Jan. There's plenty to do in Belize, Mayan ruins, zoo, jungle tours, cave tubing, etc. They offer an optional shore excursion on Friday afternoon when the boat docks in Belize City.

There's also a $24-2600 price on their new Palau boat until Thanksgiving but (at least for us) the airfare was over $1500 r/t.

Or the Kona Aggressor. It's around $2500 with lots to do on the big island.

Aquacat. You have private rooms with their own showers and head!

Check out the Eclipse at Sams Tours.

My girlfriend (now fiance) and I plan to take our honeymoon in November 2010. We have done 2 liveaboards together and want to do another one for our honeymoon. One requirement is that the destination also have fun ground activities.

We're looking for a 4-7 day dive, nice ameneties, at under $2500 pp.

We're coming from California. Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.

I am a bit confused about what you are asking. You say a liveaboard but then you request "ground" activities. Are you asking about land-based diving or are you asking about a liveaboard where you can spend a few days afterwards doing land-based activities?

Most liveaboards, at least in Caribbean, are 7 days and at sea with no time on land, or at least no more than an afternoon on a beach doing a picnic. A few exceptions are Aquacat, as others mentioned, in Bahamas where they take small tours on some of the uninhabited islands instead of some dives. I think the Nekton and Blackbeards (both in Bahamas, also) do an afternoon or night in town one night but other than that are out at sea. The Explorer Ventures does a trip to Saba/St. Kitts where I think they have an opportunity to go ashore at some of the islands, but that is based on how many people who want to participate. I think someone here on SB did a trip report last year and loved the trip, but they never did get on any of the land tours as most people didn't want to miss dives.

If I were going on a liveaboard for my honeymoon, in November, for under $2500pp - I would pick the Kona Aggressor. Then stay on the island for 2-3 days afterwards to visit the rainforest/waterfalls and also Volcano's National Park. (We spent a week in Kona land-based diving and only one day doing topside. We wished we had spent more time topside as it was so fantastic!)

November is a bad month for the Caribbean as it is the end of hurricane season, but is still the rainy season for most areas. Weather can be hit or miss - sunny and calm for days then ugly and rainy for days. There is no guarantee either way what you will get. If I was going to take the risk with the weather, I would pick Belize Aggressor as there are so many topside activities to do for several days after the dive week was over. Price might be pushing your limit though. The Aquacat in Bahamas looks like a really fun trip, too, but not alot to do topside other than kayak or walk around on small islands.

There is a Forum farther down on SB just for liveaboard questions. You might want to post there.

Thanks everyone for the recommendations. For clarification, I'm looking to do the liveaboard thing and then AFTER have some activities to do on land.

Fiji! The place for Honeymoons! A couple live a boards and great accommodation on shore! Very romantic! Beqa is a great place or maybe Wananavu!

Thanks everyone for the recommendations. For clarification, I'm looking to do the liveaboard thing and then AFTER have some activities to do on land.

I would recommend you look into Wakatobi Dive Resort in Indonesia. They have a liveaboard ... the Pelagian that I spent a week on in 2008. It would be perfect for a honeymoon ... especially if you can book the master suite. But to be honest, almost any cabin on that boat would be enough to spoil you.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

It would be perfect for a honeymoon ... especially if you can book the master suite.
Not for anywhere close to $2500pp...

2010 Cruise Prices
All rates are per person
7 nights
Standard Cabin (1 avail.)
$2,930 USD
Deluxe Cabin (1 avail.)
$3,220
Superlux Cabin (2 avail.)
$3,390
Master Suite (1 avail.)
$3,690
Nitrox (pp / per trip)
$200
Our Scheduled Air charter (to/from Fiji to the boat)
$485

If you can swing it though, we were seeing r/t airfare from LAX in the $900 range a couple months back.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom