Wetsuit in June?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Basheirt

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Doing Cat Ppalu mid-June in Bahamas. Is a wetsuit recommended or is the water typically warm enough to go without?

I wear a 3 mil all year round. The liveaboards I go on may have three to five dives a day. After a few dives, you just may start getting chilled. I dive waters that can be as warm as 86 degrees. Even so, I wear a full suit. It offers good protection as well as therm regulation. The only time I remember just diving a shorty was in a volcanic vent in the Philippines where the water was close to 100 degrees.

I'm with Alison 100%. Always wear my full 3mm even in warmest waters for same reasons, core temp and protection from stinging things.

I was fine down to 60 ft last year in early June without a wetsuit. I look like a well fed bear though, so I don't chill real easily. :D

Tenjay, how many dives did you take over how many days. The cooling effect is cumulative. Even in warmer waters I end up wearing a hood after a couple of days or a cleaning wrasse trying to clean my ears on manta dives.

Everyone is different and if your furnace is always fired up, then maybe OK in less coverage. Just don't come complaining to Alison and me when you end up cold or stung. Jk

In 81 degree Fahrenheit waters I even add a chillguard under my suit. But I'm diving multiple dives, multiple days.

Tenjay, how many dives did you take over how many days. The cooling effect is cumulative. Even in warmer waters I end up wearing a hood after a couple of days or a cleaning wrasse trying to clean my ears on manta dives.

Everyone is different and if your furnace is always fired up, then maybe OK in less coverage. Just don't come complaining to Alison and me when you end up cold or stung. Jk

In 81 degree Fahrenheit waters I even add a chillguard under my suit. But I'm diving multiple dives, multiple days.

So my answer should have been wear a wetsuit always? That is a serious question by the way. I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I'll be in CZM diving next month and would like advice too.

When others have complained of being cold, I want to keep diving. Obviously with my limited number of dives, as noted on my profile, I am no expert. Like the poster, I will read your adivce and take it into consideration as I plan my dive vacation.

Thanks

Jay

Back
Top Bottom