Whatever Happened To Sand Weight Belts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Best Way - DIY SCUBA Weights | eHow.com

If you check out the relative densities of water, lead and sand (rock) you'll find you probably need about 5 times as much sand (by volume) to get a similar effect as lead.

I have imagined that it would require some pouches about 10"-12" deep and something inside to help them hold their shape. Being able to dump it easily might be a complication. But it would be nice to not have to carry the extra weight of a lead belt while going beach diving, especially if it's somewhat of a hike.

There should be an honour system where you can leave your weights at the bottom of the cliff. Yeah sure. Sand weight belt system usage was superseded for filling holes in masks and spg's

Maybe you could get a deal on leftover Top Kill mud. I think it's denser.

Pete

I use sand filled weight belt for snorkeling, works great:crafty:

My BC is weight integrated so no need for a weight belt when scuba diving.

I thought what a great idea, but there are more problems than the weight size. Size is a big issue, I have a 50# bag of sand on my porch, my wife and I need about 40# of lead weight between us. Just imagine having something larger than a 10# sack of sugar strapped to you. Now realize it's not about the weight, it's about buoyancy. So what you are looking at is the average density of the diver and equipment; getting our weight to equal the water we displace. So since sand is less dense, you actually need more weight in sand because it also displaces more water. Ideally you would get weights of Osmium at more than twice the density of lead. Gold, Platinum, Indium, Tantalum, and Plutonium are other good choices in that range, but people get nervous about dumping those kind of weights. The best safe answer is Tungsten and Tungsten carbide at about 1.6 and 1.4 times the density of lead respectively. They get to the size you could carry it on a plane in your dive computer bag; about 10 one by one by four inch blocks. Used carbide machine tool bits sell for #15/pound. Lead is $1.50 for scrap to melt into weights or $5/# made up at the dive shop. Tungsten Carbide shot is running $52/#. So at this point I start thinking, "renting weight for $10-30/week doesn't sound bad."

I tried searching but didn't find anything. Anyone ever perfect the sand weightbelt for beach diving? I'm not joking. Well, maybe a little.

I sold my sand weight belt when the inflatable ones came on the market ;-)

Back
Top Bottom