Homemade SCUBA Lift Bag

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Construction Nut

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Has anyone ever made a lift bag? What did you use for material? I have access to a commercial sewing machine and was thinking of seeing what I could make. I am only looking to make a small bag to start maybe to lift 40, 50 ponds.

it's possible, but you would need a lot of aquaseal and preferably an ultrasonic sewing machine to really make air tight seals. Standard coated polyester or nylon fabric is what is normally used for them. You won't save a ton of money over buying new though so it really only makes sense if you're wanting to do the project for the sake of doing it. You can buy a new one for under $40 from Piranha and you'll have about that much money in materials between aquaseal, the OPV, 1" webbing, and a few yards of fabric.

Lift Bags

Not that I think it makes sense to make DIY lift bags, but I couldn't help but wondering about that rubber waterproofing stuff in a can "as seen on TV". You know, the stuff he sprays on on a screendoor and then uses it as the bottom of a row boat? You could take a regular cordura bag turned it inside-out, spray with this stuff, and flip it back right-side-in after it dried... I bet it would work as well as aqua seal for a lot less $$.

Or you could just buy used lift-bags to save $$...

oh, best way to make single use lift bags is to take the mesh laundry bags and put a trash bag in the inside. Tie off to the handles. Take something pointy with you and as soon as the rig gets neutral, poke a couple holes where the bottom of the bubble is. This makes it depth compensating for your ascent so it will stay neutrally buoyant as long as you're ascending. If you have to descent just put some more air in there. It's super cheap

If I was going to make my own...I'd start with a $25 nylon hammock from Walmart, and look up homemade tarp silicone waterproofing on youtube, and for roughly $30 you could have your own lift bag, maybe more than one depending on necessary cuts(I am unfamiliar with their dimensions).

I wonder if you could use one of those plastic Ikea bags they sell for a dollar.

I wonder if you could use one of those plastic Ikea bags they sell for a dollar.
Yes, you can. They have about 75 pounds of lift. BTDT.

I made one about 45 years ago using some heavy, tightly woven cotton cloth and "rubberized" it with a solution I made by dissolving styrofoam with MEK. It worked but I've read at least two better ideas in this thread :wink:

Don't forget the dump valve in the top of the bag... Old BC's are good place to get them... The bag does not need to be SUPER air tight... Use automotive weather strip adhesive on the seams.... A light coat on both sides and then sew a over lap seam and it'll be more than good.... Go to a junk yard and cut seat belts out of a few cars... The front belts are the longest and most yards will let you have them for free... Use weather strip adhesive to seal the webbing just like the seams... If you need more help... Just ask.... OH... They are cheap to buy, Unless you have a special size/shape lift needed...

Jim...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom