Sipadan dive season (May or July)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

glsissi

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, I am new to the scubaboard.

I am planning a trip to Sipadan next year. My schedule is flexable, I can either go around May or July. Does anybody know which moth is better in regards dive condition, weather, crowd (mainly thinking about ease of getting Sipadan's permit)

I've got my OW certification and w/ ~19 logged dives right now. I will take the AOW early next year.

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to SB!

avoid Golden Week in May other than that, you should be fine and having your AOW (include deep and drift) and a few more dives will definitely be worthwhile.

Welcome to SB!

avoid Golden Week in May other than that, you should be fine and having your AOW (include deep and drift) and a few more dives will definitely be worthwhile.
Hello Cabbie,

Thanks for the info. Is May 1st the golden week? What about July? Base on what I have read so far, July is better diving condition than May, but I don't know if it's going to be high season for July.

The only reason I want to go in July is I can accumulate more vacation time by July. Also I may be able to put in more dives by that time, if I can sneak in couple of South CA trip. I live near San Francisco in US, the water near by is so cold right now. Besides the AOW certification dive, I really don't want to dive here.

Thanks.

Hi There - all year round is good for Sipadan as there is not really an off season like there is with Peninsular - however I would say avoid September through to November/December if you aren't keen on big waves as there is a strong wind that comes in from the South West and hits one side of the island meaning that there are fewer dive sites you can dive - the diving is still good although the visibility can be quite low and the water quite cold - however don't write these months off because there is a slight chance of seeing some of the bigger stuff because of the water temperatures and the green plankton in the water. However if it is the crystal blue waters and sun you are looking for and nice easy diving I would recommend you head out to the island around March through to August. This year the strong winds have stuck around for a little bit longer than usual and we are still getting a bit of bad visibility everynow and then but it is still great diving! March to August you will be pretty safe but try to avoid the times when the westerners have their holidays or the chinese as it will be a little harder to get permits - i.e. Chinese New Year and peak western holiday season.

Excuse my ignorance, but what or when is Golden Week?

Golden Week is from 28 April to 6 May.

This is a Japanese term for this week which contains many public holidays. Some workers take off extra days off so they can have a weeks holiday and some companies close for the week.

Some resorts apply a surcharge if booking during this peak time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom