Looking for PC-based math graphing application

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Daryl Morse

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Not sure what forum to ask this question in, but I'm looking for a PC-based mathematical graphing package so I can graph functions like EAD and ppO2 on depth vs. FO2 axes. (Okay, call me a nerd.) Microsoft Excel is not a good tool for this because it can only plot one function on a graph and even that is limited. If you have any suggestions, I'd like to hear them.

Daryl Morse:
Not sure what forum to ask this question in, but I'm looking for a PC-based mathematical graphing package so I can graph functions like EAD and ppO2 on depth vs. FO2 axes. (Okay, call me a nerd.) Microsoft Excel is not a good tool for this because it can only plot one function on a graph and even that is limited. If you have any suggestions, I'd like to hear them.
My favorite when I was doing this kind of stuff was Origin.

Another very nice one is Igor, which has extensive facilities for mathematical modelling.

Good luck!

Daryl Morse:

If you think Excel is a poor graphing tool then either you have a very old version of Excel or you're missing something. What you are describing is a trivial Excel graph.

I am no great fan of Microsoft, but the graphing functions built into Excel are nothing less than fantastic.
From what you describe, you just need an XY scatter graph with 2 Y-axes.

There are a lot of sites with many sophisticated examples of what you can do with Excel graphing.
like this one for starters:
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/ng/microsoft.public.excel.charting/

PS. I have just added a very simple example of 2 functions on 1 graph. It took less than 1 minute to create.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom