Dive Ops in Holbox?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

orm

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Is there any diving to be done around Holbox itself? I'm not talking about Whale Shark trips, just diving off the coast of the island?

And to that end, are there any ops on the island, again, most seem to be in Cancun.

Also, do you know it a trip to Chitchen Itza is a comfortable trip to do in a day from Holbox or is it too far?

Thanks!

I don't think there are any scuba compressors or Ops around Holbox. The water is pretty murky, no coral. You pretty much go to Holbox to swim with the Dominoes and enjoy the quaint village but there are some other tours possible.

A day trip starting with a ferry to Chiquila, drive local roads with potholes and speed bumps to Chemax, Valladolid (take the loop around, don't go thru!) and almost to Piste to tour the ruins at the same time of day that the bus tours arrive, then back, would be pushing it. Mapquest has a few Mexican cities in their program but not Chiquila so I can't tell the mileage. Looks as challenging as a day trip from Cozumel, which is done but it's hard.
hol-val.JPG
Here are a couple of zoomable maps for the area....
http://www.locogringo.com/lgunet/images/maps/roads/masterYUC.png
http://www.locogringo.com/lgunet/images/maps/roads/masterQR.png

When I did Chichen Itza, we left Coz on the afternoon ferry, arriving at the lovely Mayaland hotel at the back gate to the ruins well before dinner, then had a leisurely breakfast before hitting the ruins when they opened - no crowds. After a few hours there, we skipped lunch and headed over to Ek Balam north of Valladodid and found it as rewarding as the more famous site, then got back to Coz in time for dinner. We had rooms paid for on Coz and at the ruins both for one night but it was worth it, especially not carrying all of our scuba gear.

How are you getting to Holbox? What are you other trip plans? You might consider rearranging to include a night at the ruins.

I don't think there are any scuba compressors or Ops around Holbox. The water is pretty murky, no coral. You pretty much go to Holbox to swim with the Dominoes and enjoy the quaint village but there are some other tours possible.

A day trip starting with a ferry to Chiquila, drive local roads with potholes and speed bumps to Chemax, Valladolid (take the loop around, don't go thru!) and almost to Piste to tour the ruins at the same time of day that the bus tours arrive, then back, would be pushing it. Mapquest has a few Mexican cities in their program but not Chiquila so I can't tell the mileage. Looks as challenging as a day trip from Cozumel, which is done but it's hard.
Here are a couple of zoomable maps for the area....
http://www.locogringo.com/lgunet/images/maps/roads/masterYUC.png
http://www.locogringo.com/lgunet/images/maps/roads/masterQR.png

When I did Chichen Itza, we left Coz on the afternoon ferry, arriving at the lovely Mayaland hotel at the back gate to the ruins well before dinner, then had a leisurely breakfast before hitting the ruins when they opened - no crowds. After a few hours there, we skipped lunch and headed over to Ek Balam north of Valladodid and found it as rewarding as the more famous site, then got back to Coz in time for dinner. We had rooms paid for on Coz and at the ruins both for one night but it was worth it, especially not carrying all of our scuba gear.

How are you getting to Holbox? What are you other trip plans? You might consider rearranging to include a night at the ruins.

Thanks Don

Was gona stay in Holbox and pop out to some of the other cenotes in that area, as most are around either Valladolid or Chitchen Itza... we thought it would make a good day trip.

We'd also like to dive around Holbox, just because it's there really, but if there's nothing going, we'll just sit on the beach and wonder.

So there's not any snorkelling to be done, is the sea that bad around there?

There are cenotes in the area of course. I did not take time for them and I don't think there is any scuba available for any of those, but some snorkeling. The cenotes were the wells for the cities altho I thot they built them a long distance from each. There doesn't seem to be any current at Holbox so the water is pretty murky but there are some afternoon nature tours. Have you checked online? I think maybe they snorkel some around yes.

The village is delightful and the beach fun. Friendly ladies and all.

Hey ORM-I think Don's right about no scuba operations on Holbox, but in the four years I've been going there to snorkel with the whalesharks, we always stop to snorkel a pretty interesting area on the way back to Holbox-not far from Cabo Catoche. I go with a guy called Wilber who has Glendy Tours. He's a hell of a nice local guy and his pangas are well kept. Turstica Glendy
When are you going? I arrive on June 14 and will be there all summer. It's a great place--let me know if you have any other questions that Don hasn't answered!
Captain Piet

Back
Top Bottom