Cancun Cenote or Wreck Dive

• Cenote Dive

Votes: 7 87.5%
  • Minesweeper Wreck Dive

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hqduong

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
OK I only have so many days in Cancun and I'm torn that I have to choose either a cenote dive trip or the wreck dive?

I live in Northern California, the waters are cold and there isn't any good wreck dives nor are there any cenote like dives.

the wreck is the minesweeper?

Change your plans and do both, it's the fairest sugestion I can make.

I used Manta divers while there, they took me out to the wreck which was a very nice wreck dive indeed and they put me on to a Mexican guy called Alex who guided me for a few days diving in the cenotes which were some of the most memorable diving I have done. I had to change my plans while I was there and stay on an extra few days and my only regret was that I could not stay longer.

How many dives have you logged? How many of those at night?

How many dives have you logged? How many of those at night?

Hi DandyDon, I been diving for exactly a year and I have about 80 or so dives under me. Most of my diving has been in Maui and Monterrey out in California. I have been hooked on diving since I got certified.

Any one know the highlights of the Cenotes? Anything living that is cool?
Highlights for the Minesweeper? Any Living things?

I guess I have to say I love seeing fishes and sharks, the closest I got to cave diving was Lanai with the Cathedrals, I found that rather boring since it was so small.

I have done only 2 night dives and they're not for me.

My wife and I have dove both of Cancuns minesweepers, as well as some of the cenotes.

The minesweepers are both in about 80 FSW. The currents are fairly strong there, compared to the other sites around Cancun. You see the usual reef fish. Notably, we also saw the biggest barracuda I've ever seen, plus a couple turtles. It's common to see Spotted Eagle Rays on the wrecks. We saw 5 on one dive on the C-58.

The cenotes are not dives you do to see life, although there are a few fish, and we did find an albino eyeless cave fish in Tajma Ha. You dive cenotes for the cave formations. We've dove Grand Cenote, Tajma Ha, Dos Ojos, Chac Mool and Angelita. Grand Cenote and Tajma Ha had the most spectacular formations.

Ok your profile suggests fewer dives. I don't suggest Cenotes to newbies, and they are very dark. Even tho you have more experience, you may not like the Cenotes.

With no disrespect to Don - if your bouyancy is good and you feel very comfortable with your gear - for the the experience a Cenote can't be beat and is nothing like a night dive in open water. But on the flipside, I agree with Don in the fact that "newbies" in a Cenote tend to bang against everything and cause damage so please do a "self" test and judge for yourself and if you are not comfortable, then there would always be the "next" trip to see these wonderful Cenotes and not cause damage or ruin for the next Visitors.

Well, it's hard to know which you would enjoy more. The cenotes are unique; you can dive wrecks in many places. But the cenote dives are done to look at the formations, and the beautiful light effects coming into the cave from the open water. There is not a lot of life in the caves, although there are some fun fish and eels in the open water basins (and turtles, sometimes, too). Portions of the cenote dives, depending on site, can be quite dark.

You might just search YouTube for cenote videos (somebody posted a VERY nice one here recently) and see if what you see on the video appeals to you. If not, go visit the minesweepers. It's good to have options!

As for a newbie doing a cenote dive..... my 6th and 7th were in a cenote and it wasn't a problem at all. I had just fiished my OW two days before. As you can see from the video.... I was using my hands way too much.... but I'm better now :blush:

The thing about the cenote is all the rock formations and the clairity of the water. It was amazing!! Just like flying. I can't comment on the wrecks there as I have never done it, but as far as I am concerned the Cenote is a must.

Click on the picture below to see short video

The Dos Ojos Cenote is a two-tank two-dive (extra back & forth for the Bat Cave).

Both are Beginner Level - due to the fact that it's never deep, never long, and there are multiple exit points. It's beautiful, to be done at least once.

Due to it's location, it's nearer Tulum than it is Cancun, you will lose an entire day. We did it from Bahia Arkamel Riviera Maya and the trip to get there was nearly an hour.

IMHO it was worth it. Last tank out, with over 1500 psi left, we stayed in the pool for a long time having fun. I took videos and pics of the hermit crabs on the bottom. We practiced buoyancy.

Of course our Mexican guide, Lucio Flores, in spite of wearing 7m, boots & head cap, was out of the water ASAP. I found the water warm with a 3m, it was in the low 70's.

I think the best memory for me was the sheer thrill of it, scary, then after two dives, "piece of cake!". I felt like I had climbed Everest. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom