Spearfishing in Cancun?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aigtbootbp

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I know a lot will hate me for this but are there any spearfishing operations in Cancun? We will be there next week and this has been brought up as something a few of us would like to try.

I didn't partake in the spearfishing myself but I did dive
with Squalo Adventures on Isla Mujeres last Summer. I
was surprised when I found myself diving with a father
and son that were spearfishing. And they really were
bagging some fish and lobsters. I went to IM to see
whale sharks. If I knew you could do spearfishing there
I would have included it in my trip plan. (They were
having a good time with it.) And I think the dive shop
was supplying the guns at no extra cost. You could
easily day trip it to IM from Cancun or split your trip
between both places.

Spearfishing (and any other type of fishing) is illegal in Cancun and Isla Mujeres because it is a national marine park and marine sanctuary, so if you see anybody doing any spearfishing in the reefs off the coast of Cancun or IM please contact the authorities and inform them. Also, hunting lobsters is prohibited until July.

What about nearby areas? I understand Playa del Carmen has some operators that do it. Would these be the closest?

Couldn't tell you... I don't believe in killing anything I am not going to eat or that isn't a direct threat to my life. Besides, I'd rather see a living animal in the reef than mounted on someones mantle

Back
Top Bottom