Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sunshine Dive and Charter changes its name to Dive Cabo

NA

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    1,000 - 2,499
    Blog Entries

Sunshine Dive and Charter changes its name to Dive Cabo

Sunshine Dive and Charter has pulled a fast one on PADI by moving a few doors away and changing its name to Dive Cabo S-23564
    but its the same owners,Boats,COMPRESSOR,employees,gear.I dont understand how this could happen if PADI is supposed to check Who gets into PADI with inspections of the operation, compressor and all that is part of a Dive Business.
    So how does a expelled shop get back in PADI so easy?????

Wyndham Resort, Local A14
    Boulevard Marina, Lote 9 y 10, Col. Centro
    Cabo San Lucas, BCS 23450
    info@scubadivecabosanlucas.com
    http://www.scubadivecabosanlucas.com
    Ph: (52) 1624 1566260

Last edited by johnZdiver; March 23rd, 2013 at 03:49 PM.

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    200 - 499
    Not sure why they would change their name, its almost as if they might have something to hide?
    hmmmmmm

Registered

zeta

Photos
    Quote Originally Posted by johnZdiver View Post
    Sunshine Dive and Charter has pulled a fast one on PADI by moving a few doors away and changing its name to Dive Cabo S-23564
    but its the same owners,Boats,COMPRESSOR,employees,gear.I dont understand how this could happen if PADI is supposed to check Who gets into PADI with inspections of the operation, compressor and all that is part of a Dive Business.
    So how does a expelled shop get back in PADI so easy?????

Wyndham Resort, Local A14
    Boulevard Marina, Lote 9 y 10, Col. Centro
    Cabo San Lucas, BCS 23450
    info@scubadivecabosanlucas.com
    http://www.scubadivecabosanlucas.com
    Ph: (52) 1624 1566260

Well to get back in - Put Another Dollar In
    I believe in a loving Creator and believe He has given us the miraculous seas as a sacred trust. Those of us who dive should honor that trust by taking care of this extraordinary place. Take the time to tell people your dive experiences. Not only will they appreciate your stories, but it may encourage them to see the water world as real and worth preserving

NA

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    1,000 - 2,499
    Blog Entries
    Yes it's sad to find out that an organization that you thought was protecting Divers is %100 in for the money and only the Money.When people have died you would think that would open some eyes but the sad truth is than any one with $500.00 can be a PADI shop with no inspections just send in some photos and they put you on the web site and send your PADI stickers for your windows you dont have to prove anything like you know how to lead Dive Tours safly for the public.

Registered

Always planning my next
    vacation

Dives
    200 - 499
    Photos
    I would love to hear the other side to this story. Hopefully Caboticket or some others whom have been affiliated with Sunshine can give their two cents. Personally I thought they were a top notch dive op when we dove with them in July. Reviews from various websites including Undercurrent, which I believe offers more credibility, give highly favorable reviews to Sunshine. I am not a big believer in PADI representing the gold standard of dive ops. One of my worst experiences was with a designated PADI '5 Star Palm' facility. I have no specific allegiance and by no means represent Sunshine Dive Charters. I just cannot help but become suspicious of negative postings after reading the link below from Undercurrent:

Sunshine Dive and Charter, Cabo San Lucas. In the preamble to our July story, "CO Poisoning Risk Higher than You Think," we wrote about the March death of a diver, and erroneously reported that she had been diving with Sunshine and may have been overcome by carbon monoxide in her tank that her husband claimed Sunshine had filled. As it turned out, our sources got it wrong. Traun Lynch, who represents Sunshine Dive and Charter, tells us the divemaster who took Cross diving was not working for Sunshine Dive and Charter, nor did Sunshine fill his tanks. We apologize for the error; we cannot definitively tie down the source of the air, and the police are mum. Sunshine has generally received good marks from Undercurrent, and two of our California subscribers, Tom Webb and Mike Eberle, each wrote us to call attention to our error, and report that each had just been diving with Sunshine and had nothing but good experiences. So if you're headed to Cabo, put Sunshine on your list. ( www.divecabo.com )
    "The sea was angry that day, my friends, like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli" George Costanza

MSDT

Just waiting for the next trip

Dives
    1,000 - 2,499
    Photos
    I am not sure I see the problem.

1. The dive shop does not say anywhere that they are a PADI dive center. They say they offer PADI instruction, but that is different from being a PADI dive center. I can advertise and offer PADI instruction independently if I choose to, but that does not make me a PADI dive center. The old agency was a PADI dive center before it was expelled. This one does not claim to be, as far as I can see.

2. PADI does not inspect compressors, etc., especially if it is not endorsing the business operation. The OP should be well aware of that by now.
    John Adsit
    Boulder, Colorado
    My Education Articles

NA

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    1,000 - 2,499
    Blog Entries
    Well doe's anybody know why they changed there name? I mean if they have this great professional service and are so popular and making tons of money and so many people love them and all. Well anyway Sunshine Dive and Charter doe's not exist anymore it's Dive Cabo now a new and experenced 5 star PADI dive center or resort or maby not depending on what website your lookin at.
    They have a new PADI Number on the PADI website #S23564 click on shop locater for Cabo San Lucas Mexico.
    I would love to see PADIs Information on the new owners.

MSDT

Just waiting for the next trip

Dives
    1,000 - 2,499
    Photos
    I have been sitting back and watching for a little more trying to determine what is going on before stepping in some more. I really don't want to get into the middle of what appears to be a war between two competing dive shops. I will just try to add some information and ask a question.

First of all, the references to Sunshine being expelled from PADI are not correct. In PADI's list of Consumer Alert and Expelled Members, Sunshine appears only on the Consumer Alerts list and not in the Expelled list.

Next, I have heard from outside of this thread that Sunshine was sold, and the new name of the shop came about because it has new ownership. In this thread, the OP says it is the same ownership. I would appreciate it if the OP would confirm his assertion that it is the same ownership.

The new web site says nothing about them being a PADI 5 Star resort.
    Last edited by boulderjohn; March 25th, 2013 at 03:48 PM.
    John Adsit
    Boulder, Colorado
    My Education Articles

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    200 - 499
    this is interesting, here is the whois lookup on the owner of the website, registered in 1997.

Administrative Contact :
    Helten, Lars
    hm3ar7fq5hm@networksolutionsprivateregistration.co m
    ATTN DIVECABO.COM
    care of Network Solutions
    PO Box 459
    Drums, PA 18222
    US
    Phone: 570-708-8780
    Technical Contact :
    Helten, Lars
    hm3ar7fq5hm@networksolutionsprivateregistration.co m
    ATTN DIVECABO.COM
    care of Network Solutions
    PO Box 459
    Drums, PA 18222
    US
    Phone: 570-708-8780
    Record expires on 14-Feb-2015
    Record created on 13-Feb-1997
    Database last updated on 16-Jul-2010

I would Say that its probably just a simple name change, and it says right on their home page "Welcome to "Dive Cabo"

PADI Dive Resort #23564 & Nitrox Facility
    However cant seen to locate them anymore on the PADI web page.

NA

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    0 - 24
    So where is the shop called Dive Cabo located ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast