Cabo Dive Shop Decision: OW Cert. Dives + 1 more day of diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

neal779

Registered
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I've been doing some research on the dive shops in the Cabo area, hoping that I might be able to not only finish my OW certification but also perhaps do another day of diving.

I participated in an Open Water Training Course last summer, but unfortunately, was unable to participate in Open Water dives 3 & 4. I've already completed the coursework (test, quizzes), pool dives, and the first 2 OW dives. I was issued a Scuba Diver certification, but I want to compleete these last 2 dives to earn my OW cert.

I emailed a bunch of the dive shops in Cabo to see whether they would take me to just complete the dives that I need, and to ask how much it would cost (rather than paying for the full OW referral course).

In one of my emails, one of the dive shops said that once I finish my OW dives (and thereby complete my OW certification), they would be willing to take me to Cabo Pulmo. I'm not sure if that's an exception they'd be making, or if all dive shops would be willing to do the same thing. So, for the sake of decision making, I've calculated what the total cost of completing my OW dives, gear rental, and a 2-tank Cabo Pulmo trip would cost, for each of the dive centers. I've eliminated the more expensive ones, and am left with 4 dive shops that I'm considering.

Will you guys please give me your opinion, or some advice/feedback on which dive shop to go with during my trip to Cabo? I've looked at various reviews on this forum and in other locations on the web, but I was just hoping to get a little more feedback. I'd really appreciate your help.

Please find the name of the dive shop and the total cost of diving (OW dives + Cabo Pulmo + gear rental) for each shop below. I also added a little note to a couple of them.

Acuatix $284

Land's End Divers $315
(saw a couple of people suggest this dive shop on ScubaBoard)

Sunshine Dive & Charter $330
(private instruction and would allow Nitrox for OW dive 4. I also read a great review for them on undercurrents.org)

Blue Adventures $335
(this is the shop that said they would take me to Cabo Pulmo. I saw a couple of good reviews for this dive shop also)

I am a little curious about Acuatix and Sunshine Dive & Charter, due to the fact that I had sent my original email to info@scubadivecabosanlucas.com and got 2 replies back from that same email address. One was from Acuatix and the other was from Sunshine Dive & Charter. Are they owned by the same people, or are they otherwise associated with eachother?

I feel like I just wrote a novel to ask a couple of fairly simple questions, so I'm sorry about that. If you guys could provide me any advice or feedback, I'd appreciate it.

Thank you guys so much!

Neal

Land's End has been around for a while, but I've never dived with them. I do not know about the others you listed. I usually dive with either Manta or TioSport. I have been happy with both. Most recently I went with Amigos Del Mar.

DMs and Instructors are very migratory. Other than Manta, who tends to have relatives and close friends (mostly trained by the Israeli Navy), the instructors come and go as the tides. Therefore, I rate the shops as pretty equal. They all have good equipment and decent boats.

My advice is to see who fits your schedule best.

For a new diver, I see little need to go to Cabo Pulmo. There is plenty of great diving in Cabo proper. I love Pelican Rock and Neptune's Finger, which are standard spots. I should note that in Cabo,

Hello I would wait until I had at least 20 or so Dives before going to Cabo Pulmo.
This as Drift Dive and unless you can go down right away you will miss the dive Because the group cannot come back up for you bucause of the current.the use of anchors is not permitted in the National Park so you need good bouyancy control.
When in Cabo I Dive with Baja Dive great Dive Shop.They Have a Big Boat, Small groups,great Instructors and all safty gear.

Thank you both for your feedback.

Bruce - you provided some very sound advice. Rather than fretting who to go with, I should find out who fits my schedule. I should probably also be considering What time they dive, sine I'm staying at the Grand Mayan in San Jose, and it will br hard to get to Cabo Real early on the morning. And, I'm sure even the best dive operations have some customers that leave their dive feeling disgruntled and angry. When I started my OW training last summer, I did it with a Aaron's Dive Shop, on Oahu. I've read some really bad reviews for them, but I couldn't have had a better experience. They were true pros (my instructor Kevin was absolutely amazing). I highly suggest Aaron's Dive Shop for anyone going to Hawaii and will be visiting Oahu.

Diverdude - you present quite a valid argument, and I think you've persuaded me to get some more dive experience and do more dving in Cabo instead. With only 3 open water dives under my belt, I'm not ashamed to say that my buoyance control needs some work. Especially since it's been so long since my last dive.

Thanks to both of you for your feedback and advice.

Neal

Something else to consider is whether you will be able to understand the instructor. If they have a heavy accent it will be difficult, or if they have limited English. I dive with Amigos Del Mar and took my AOW with them and was very pleased with the instructor (they are Padi). I usually dive in Cabo and the sites around the bay are close and easy to get to, with no problem with surge or current (unless you go to Sea Lion rock and that has surge).
You might also consider DonnaCabo on this board, she has her own dive op and is from USA so speaks perfect English. I dove with her and she is very flexible as far as what time you start, she also usually rents space on a boat from a bigger dive op. I would consider her because it is usually one on one when you dive with her and she knows the area well.

just got back from Cabo. See my trip report in this section. I dove both both out San Lucas and drove up to Pulmo. I didn't think Pulmo was so much better to be worth the drive. I used Amigos del Mar and was a little disappointed ( no tri-maran as advertised, fins that fell off, and I think the dive ended too soon). I would dive in San Lucas again but I would try a different operator since there are lost to choose from.

Hello.

My name is Carlos, I own Land´s End Divers, as Bruce said mostof dive operation are very good in Cabo, just nake sure that you choose the wants that is PADI, dive center if you are doing a PADI referral.
If you have more question about us let me know.
Do not choose you dive vacation on price, choose wisely and listen to all the good comments from all of those that have travel and dive in Cabo.
Thank you.
leddiver@hotmail.com
Cabo San Lucas Scuba Diving - Land's End Divers - Los Cabos, Baja, Mexico

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom