People robbed at gunpoint in cenote dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MMM

Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
My husband and sister-in-law were talking to a diver today who went from Cozumel to the mainland for a cenote dive. People in his group were held at gunpoint and robbed by people who emerged from the jungle and shot out the car window. I understand they stole wallets, cameras and cell phones. Participants had to borrow money from the dive operation to make the ferry crossing back to Cozumel.

I hope hope to get more information (such as the location) and will share it if I do. But in the meantime, carefully consider what you take with you on cenote dives. This is a big blow for tourism in the area. I haven't heard of this before and hope it is not a trend. But I fear otherwise given the remoteness and the unexpectedness of this.

Wow! I hadn't heard of this yet. Any updated information you can provide would be greatly appreciated as I plan to go cenote diving in July near Tulum.

Will do. My husband and sister in law aren't divers and were being sympathetic and concerned and asking if there was anything they could do. So they didn't act like reporters and try to get the details.

Time to start bringing spearguns on Cave dives :)
While that guy is shooting out your window you will rummage through your gear, find, and assemble your speargun. Buh-bye.

Shot out the windows? That is really aggressive and violent, takes it to the next level

They did sort of make their intentions very clear.

MMM, I have heard of problems at remote interior dive sites over the years. Not often, but a steady drum beat every two to three years. On the plus side, QR is still run by the PRI. Since they are as close to being a criminal organization as you can get, they know all the local players. Point being, these idiots are going to get stomped on in short order.

Florida and Missouri caves. With a ccw you can carry right into the water if you want. Keep the money North of the border.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom