Baja diving - what's good Jan/Feb?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nwflyboy

Contributor
Reaction score
Thinking about a trip to Mexico in late January/early February 2016 (yeah, I plan far ahead), and trying to figure out if some diving in southern Baja would fit in and make sense. I've been to Baja before, but that was 25 years ago and I only did snorkeling then (but that was great). I loved Baja then and I worry a bit that I will be turned off by the impact of mass tourism (like I have been by what's happened to the Yucatan south of Cancun - I remember Playa del Carmen very fondly as a town with one telephone in the mid-1980s….sigh). But it is what is is, and I know there's no turning back the clock.

If I can pull off some time for diving around the southern end of Baja, it would be late January or early February. What's good at that time of year? And what makes a good destination at that time? The girls-gone-wild scene is just not my thing (not that there's anything wrong with that), I'm happier with somewhat more quiet, relaxing surroundings, but I definitely do enjoy a comfy place to relax before/after diving.

I know a lot of the resorts just got badly clobbered by a hurricane. I'm guessing that the hurricane's impact on the underwater environment was minimal, and that given time, the tourist infrastructure (that the economy is so dependent on) will be rebuilt. I'm not looking at going until Jan/Feb of 2016 so the recent hit should mostly just be the source of stories by then (I hope).

I'm not worried about the shape the hotels will be in by then, more unsure of what's my best target destination/where to dive, and what's worthwhile at that time of year. Any suggestions welcomed.

Thanks.

I have family down there and am planning on going down there this winter around the same time frame as you. As they live in cabo that's where I was going to try and dive around. Look into cabo pulmo, in not sure how much damage they got. I know my family is still mostly without power and went up to la Paz where thins were normal..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom