Shark ID Please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

matts1w

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Jakarta, Indonesia & Canggu, Bali, Indonesia
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Some friends of mine hooked into this for a few seconds snapper fishing off Tampa in about 60 feet of water. I know it is not a great picture. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

10600456_10203615181033144_4292079865592153823_n.jpg

They called it a thresher...but to me the head in the pic seems long and pointy. I always picture threshers with a stubby head close to its fins. This guy seems much longer.

Oh, good news is shark broke off pretty quick and is certainly doing fine now.

The color, shape of the head and length of the tail are not typical of a thresher shark.
It's hard to tell what type of shark it is from that picture, but I can tell it is not a thresher shark.

Lemon or an Oceanic White Tip? Hard to tell from that photo but the pectoral fins would be rounded and end in white on the latter.

I was thinking lemon shark. They do catch threshers off of Tampa but that is typically in very deep water. It also doesn't look like a thresher, esp. the color (which is quite plain from the photo).

Back
Top Bottom