Divers missing off Gordo Banks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

caboticket

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Today, 5 divers have gone missing off Gordo Banks, off San Jose Del Cabo. 2 guides and 3 clients. current and conditions most likely played a vital part.
Search has been called off for today, we hope that tomorrow they can be found safe. Will keep updated as we find out more. A report has been made public on Mexican t.v, a written report will no doubt follow tomorrow.

Last edited:
Here's hoping they're all found.

Praying that all found safe!

Good news! This morning, the group was found alive, they managed to swim to shore and were found not long ago. That is a long way off shore, and the currents would of been running parallel to the shore, the instructor was on tv just now, no doubt more news of this will come soon.

Great news

How does a boat loose 5 divers in the first place?

Glad they are safe.

Gordo Banks is a dive site out in the middle of the ocean, it is about 4 miles off the coast of san jose del cabo. it is a sea mount, surrounded by very deep waters. the sea life is amazing, schooling hammerhead sharks, marlin, manta rays, whale sharks.....
but the mounts starts at about 120 feet. and there is always a current, advanced divers only, the actual dives are only about 12 to 15 minutes. the last few days have been really bad, strong sweel, and ripping current, there is a line there with a buoy just under the surface, most groups use for obvious reasons. boats drop anchors, also, so as to remain on the site. what it sounds like, (not official, my opinion) one or more lost the line, they all let go to stay together, and by the time they surfaced, way out of sight of the boat in the swell, the captain wasn't experienced enough here ( more likely the problem) and failed to realize this till way too late, luckily for the divers, the current was heading slightly towards the shore in the cabo san lucas direction, the instructor kept the group together and they managed to make it to shore some 15 hours later....
the actual facts are just coming out now...

I was in Cabo when this story broke. Do you know who the dive op was? Any new updates?

The dive shop was ​Cabo Eagle Divers, after this problem they are now the worst dive shop in Cabo. They say they have been around for 15 years, I have coming to Cabo since the late 70's and I've just heard of them three years ago. I know they don't fill their own tanks and their boat is a large panga, not very enjoyable going to Grodo Banks or Santa Maria. The better dive shops are Amigos Del Mar and Manta. The divers and dive master swam from Gordo Banks to San Jose Del Cabo, which is about five miles, they ended up on the beach at midnight.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom