Split reg hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

K

KeithG

Thought I would contribute a recent incident.

My dive buddy's hose split at the regulator. We were 35 minutes into the dive and so had already turned back to the boat and were at about 30 feet when it happened.

She came over to me and pointed at the air spewing out the side of her reg. I pointed at her octo and wondered why we spent all that extra money if she was not going to use it. She had already determined that her reg was still delivering all the air she could pull and was in no panic. She gave the "let's go shallow" sign as she switched to her octo.

I immediately started asking for pressure updates as we slowly ascended. I realized I had no idea how fast her tank could be draining. Worst case would be a surface swim with no wind, no current and no chop. We quickly established that although visually impressive, the leak was not that severe.

In the end we took about 5 minutes to swim back to the boat at about 10 feet. In that time she lost about 400 psi.

We talked the incident over afterwards (I yelled at her for not switching to her octo sooner) and strangely, neither of us considered buddy breathing. We were shallow enough that we both considered going to the surface as the simplest solution if things got worse. We dive conservative profiles and generally do not spend much time deep.

Once home I did do a search here and discovered that a severe LP hose failure could empty a tank rather quickly (I forget the numbers, but something like only a few minutes) while a HP hose failure could go un-noticed.

Why go to the octopus? Glad you handled it well?

The switch to the octo was triggered by her previous failure experience where her reg mouth piece came off. She noticed her regulator floating away from her and decided that that was not right since she still had a firm grip on the mouth piece. A few seconds of thought was all she needed to decide that the mouth piece alone would not supply much air.

In this case neither of us were sure that the hose split would not get worse. We both had visions of the reg coming off the end of the hose ala the mouthpiece incident. So a switch to the octo was in order.

This is her third equipment failure in 22 years. She is now starting to pay a lot more attention any time I touch her gear.

"This is her third equipment failure in 22 years. She is now starting to pay a lot more attention any time I touch her gear"

Is she starting to suspect sabotage? :)

Job well done.

It takes a bit of time to empty thru the reg hose. My poseidon reg always seemed to free flow, full on every other dive, and it always had a fair amount of gas left, even as it continued to empty at the surface. It did it in cold water, deep or shallow, never gave me warning. Big noise and bubbles but never completely empty. The shop never could fix the problem so it is now in the bin. I've switched to those fancy titanium scuba pro regulators and can relax now.

Maybe someone can tell us when the hoses should be replaced? I know sun breaks down rubber, and wonder like my timing belt in the car, is there a recommend replacement time? Cheers and safe diving

Back
Top Bottom